Cigna Returns as Presenting Sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon, Continuing a Tradition of Honoring Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
QUANTICO, Va. & BLOOMFIELD, Conn., 11 July, 2019 - Global health service company Cigna (NYSE:CI) is returning for a second year as presenting sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon® (MCM) to honor and thank U.S. military members, veterans, and their families and to support health and wellness in the community. Now in its 44th year, the MCM celebrates the commitment of the more than 30,000 runners and thousands of spectators who gather at this historic 26.2-mile journey through our nation’s capital.
“It’s a privilege to partner again with the Marine Corps Marathon to honor our brave military service men and women and their families,” said Brian Evanko, president, U.S. government business, Cigna. “We are proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with the veterans and other athletes who are toeing the starting line this year, as we celebrate the power of the communities and support systems that got them to where they are today.”
“Cigna has demonstrated a sincere appreciation for the military community and a genuine commitment to veterans. Combined with their dedication to improving health for all, MCM participants and their supporters were rewarded with a staggering array of meaningful interactions and engagements with Cigna,” said Rick Nealis, Director, Marine Corps Marathon Organization.
In addition to serving as a presenting sponsor, Team Cigna runners will participate in the MCM and the MCM10K on Oct. 27, 2019. This year, Cigna will sponsor more than 50 athletes to participate on Team Cigna from Achilles International, a non-profit organization that helps people with disabilities participate in mainstream athletic events.
Among the group, 40 athletes will participate as part of Achilles’ Freedom Team, an extension of the Achilles program dedicated to wounded members of the U.S. military. Several Team Cigna employees will serve as guides to Achilles runners. Team Cigna, several hundred strong, will also include Cigna employees, executives, clients, and partners.
Connected to Cigna’s mission to improve the health, well-being, and peace of mind of those it serves, Cigna also returns as the presenting sponsor of the MCM Health & Fitness Expo. The Expo will feature Cigna's cross-country Health Improvement Tour, which encourages individuals to understand that whole person health means both body and mind. The Health Improvement Tour will offer free onsite biometric screenings and guided meditation while guests await their screenings. To date, Cigna has provided more than 33,000 free screenings.
The tour mobile site will be at the two-day Expo located at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland on Oct. 25-26, 2019. The Cigna Health Improvement Tour mobile unit will also be at the Finish Festival on Oct. 27.
A Military Friendly® Employer, Cigna encourages health and wellness and to support veterans nationwide. For example:
- Cigna offers a National Veteran Support Line for veterans, their families, and caregivers – available at no cost by calling (855) 244-6211, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, as well as mindfulness groups exclusively for veterans.
- In 2019, Cigna's support of military veterans and their families expanded to include a public private partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to improve safety and quality of care for veterans with chronic pain, who are at risk for opioid misuse.
- Cigna has a dedicated Colleague Resource Group within the company that focuses on the needs of employees and customers who are veterans, as well as veterans and their caregivers within the communities where Cigna operates.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna delivers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that advance whole person health. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, Express Scripts companies or their affiliates. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance.
Cigna maintains sales capability in over 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 165 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
About Marine Corps Marathon Organization:
The Marine Corps Marathon (MCM), known as “The People’s Marathon,” promotes physical fitness and generates community goodwill while showcasing the high standards and discipline of the United States Marine Corps. Annually ranked as one of the largest marathons in the US and the world, the MCM welcomes runners from all 50 states and more than 60 countries. The 44th MCM, coordinated by the Marine Corps Marathon Organization (MCMO), will be held Oct. 27, 2019 in Arlington, VA. The MCM is presented by Arlington County, Brooks, Cigna and Leidos. No federal or Marine Corps endorsement is implied. #RunWithTheMarines
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Affordable Care Act Health Plans to Expand into 63 New Counties Across North Carolina for 2021
- Cigna Leads Industry in 2020 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
- Veterans Recovery Resources of Mobile Receives $100,000 Cigna Foundation Grant to Provide Mental Health Services to Area Veterans
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the Wolfe Research Healthcare Conference
- Cigna Reports Third Quarter 2020 Performance, Raises Revenue Guidance
- Cigna and Earvin "Magic" Johnson Join Forces to Combat Health Disparities and Support Minority and Women-Owned Businesses