Cigna Leads Industry in 2020 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., Nov. 20, 2020 -- Cigna has again been recognized for excellence in corporate sustainability leadership, with the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) ranking Cigna first in the health care providers and services industry for the second consecutive year. This also marks the fourth straight year that Cigna has been named to the indices, which includes the Dow Jones Sustainability™ World Index (DJSI World) and the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI North America).
“Positively impacting the health of people, communities and the environment is at the center of our mission, and we’re proud to again be recognized as the industry leader by DJSI for Cigna’s commitment to making a difference and serving as a catalyst of action,” said Mary Tullis Engvall, senior director, corporate responsibility, Cigna.
Cigna’s score of 79 leads the health care providers and services industry sector, where the industry average score was 28. The company ranked especially high in the following categories: code of business conduct, supply chain management, environmental reporting, human capital development, partnerships towards sustainable healthcare, privacy protection, occupational health and safety and marketing practices.
Cigna’s environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) framework, Cigna Connects, reflects the company’s commitments and societal impact. As recognized by DJSI, Cigna’s focus on building powerful connections to improve societal health and well-being, contribute to a healthy environment and deploy inclusive business practices are detailed in its latest report. Highlights from this year’s report include:
- COVID-19 Response: Cigna waived the cost of COVID-19 testing and treatment for all customers, and launched its Customer Protection Program to safeguard customers from surprise bills from out-of-network providers for COVID-19 care. It also introduced Express Scripts Parachute RxSM to provide prescription drug cost relief to Americans who are newly uninsured due to the pandemic.
- Brave of Heart Fund: Launched in partnership with New York Life to provide financial and emotional support to families of healthcare workers who lose their lives to COVID-19.
- Healthier Kids for Our Future: A $25 million, five-year global initiative committed to improving the health and well-being of children.
- Building Equity and Equality Program: A five-year initiative to expand and accelerate Cigna’s efforts to support diversity, inclusion, equality and equity for communities of color.
The DJSI World is comprised of corporate leaders in global sustainability as identified by SAM, now a part of S&P Global, and represents the top 10 percent of the largest 2,500 companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index based on long-term economic and environmental, social and governance factors.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna delivers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that advance whole person health. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Evernorth companies or their affiliates, Express Scripts companies or their affiliates, and Life Insurance Company of North America. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance.
Cigna maintains sales capability in over 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 190 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
1 (860) 840-1212
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Affordable Care Act Health Plans to Expand into 63 New Counties Across North Carolina for 2021
- Cigna Leads Industry in 2020 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
- Veterans Recovery Resources of Mobile Receives $100,000 Cigna Foundation Grant to Provide Mental Health Services to Area Veterans
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the Wolfe Research Healthcare Conference
- Cigna Reports Third Quarter 2020 Performance, Raises Revenue Guidance
- Cigna and Earvin "Magic" Johnson Join Forces to Combat Health Disparities and Support Minority and Women-Owned Businesses