Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., March 23, 2020 -- Cigna is making it easier for hospitals to transfer patients to long term acute care hospitals (LTACHs) and other subacute facilities to help manage the demands of increasingly high volumes of COVID-19 patients.
"By accelerating the transfer of non-COVID patients out of hospitals and into long term acute care hospitals, we can free up space and beds, preserve supplies and ensure medical staff are available to treat COVID-19 patients that require immediate hospital care," said Steve Miller, MD, Chief Clinical Officer, Cigna. "We are focused on taking quick, decisive actions to increase flexibility for hospitals and their teams of medical professionals, who are working tirelessly to help ensure all patients get the care they need during this unprecedented time."
Effective today, Cigna will waive prior authorizations for the transfer of its non-COVID-19 customers from acute inpatient hospitals to in-network LTACHs. In place of prior authorizations, Cigna will require notification from the LTACH on the next business day following the transfer. This policy will remain in place through May 31, 2020 and applies to Cigna commercial and Medicare Advantage plans. Cigna has also waived prior authorizations for the transfer of its patients to other in-network subacute facilities, including skilled nursing facilities and acute rehab centers.
This additional measure is an expansion of Cigna's previous efforts to protect customers against COVID-19. In the past two weeks, Cigna has already committed to the following actions through May 31, 2020:
- Waiving cost-sharing for the COVID-19 diagnostic test when recommended by a health care professional
- Waiving cost-sharing for office visits related to COVID-19 testing
- Waiving cost-sharing for telehealth screenings for COVID-19
- Making it easier for customers to be treated virtually by their own physicians
- Offering free home delivery of up to 90-day supplies for Rx maintenance medications available through the Express Scripts Pharmacy and 24/7 access to pharmacists.
- Providing supportive resources for customers, clients and communities for managing anxiety, fear, stress and improving resiliency
- Offering a 24-hour toll-free help line (1-866-912-1687) available to the general public to speak with qualified behavior health clinicians who can provide one-on-one support
This enhanced coverage for COVID-19 diagnostic testing, office exams, telehealth screenings and virtual care applies to customers in the United States who are covered under Cigna's employer/union sponsored insured group health plans, insured plans for globally mobile individuals, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid and the Individual and Family insurance plans. Self-insured group health plans administered by Cigna have an opportunity opt out of these benefits.
Cigna Corporation is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna delivers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that advance whole person health. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Express Scripts companies or their affiliates, and Life Insurance Company of North America.
Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in over 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 170 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19