Coverage for HIV Screenings
Cigna Medicare Select Plus Rx covers both standard and U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved HIV rapid screening tests for:
1. Annual voluntary HIV screening of Medicare beneficiaries at increased risk for HIV infection per U.S. Preventive Services Task Force guidelines, including:
- Men who have had sex with men after 1975
- Men and women having unprotected sex with multiple partners;
- Past or present injection drug users
- Men and women who exchange sex for money or drugs, or have sex partners who do
- Individuals whose past or present sex partners were HIV-infected, bisexual or injection drug users
- Persons being treated for sexually transmitted diseases
- Persons with a history of blood transfusion between 1978 and 1985
- Persons who request an HIV test despite reporting no individual risk factors, since this group is likely to include individuals not willing to disclose high-risk behaviors.
2. Voluntary HIV screening of pregnant Medicare beneficiaries when the diagnosis of pregnancy is known, during the third trimester, and at labor. For cost-sharing information, see your Evidence of Coverage.