For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
Headaches are a common form of pain. Find ways to help relieve your discomfort, naturally.
What is causing my headaches?
The most common type of headache is a tension headache often related to stress, depression, or anxiety. Other common types of headaches are migraines, cluster headaches, and sinus headaches.
What are the best natural remedies for headaches?
The following headache remedies can be effective in relieving some of the pain or discomfort caused by headaches:
- A warm bath can help you relax and may also reduce any muscle pain that could be contributing to a tension headache.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water. Adding foods with high water content like watermelon, celery, and cucumber to your diet can also help.
- Meditation, including sitting in a comfortable position and regulating your breath until you feel relaxed, can help reduce tension caused by a headache.
- Progressive muscle relaxation could also offer some relief. Begin to deepen and regulate your breathing while seated in a comfortable position. Mentally review your body’s pain points, breathing deeply to loosen up those trouble areas.
- Listen to calming sounds, including music or recorded nature sounds. The rhythms and gentle melodies can help slow your breathing, promote relaxation, as well as help ease body pain or tension.
These natural remedies haven’t worked for me; what else can I do to figure out how to get rid of a headache?
If natural remedies for headaches are not working for you, consider any lifestyle factors that could be contributing. For example:
- Regular exercise promotes good circulation.
- Eat and sleep on a regular schedule.
- Your headache may be a result of overexposure to screens like smartphones, TVs, and computers. Give your mind a break by adding some screen-free time into your schedule.
- Your headache could be a symptom of strained eyesight. Figuring out how to get rid of a headache may be as simple as updating your eyeglass prescription.
- Stop smoking.
- Reduce the amount of alcohol you drink.
If none of these headache remedies work for you, visit your doctor
Small changes in your daily routines may help relieve headaches naturally. By changing your diet, you may be able to pinpoint any food or ingredients that trouble your system. Even reducing your exposure to digital screens may offer relief.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not medical advice. Do not rely on this information as a tool for self-diagnosis. Always consult your doctor for appropriate examinations, treatment, testing, and care recommendations.