For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
What are LocalPlus® Health Plans?
At Cigna, we care about your health—and your budget. That’s why LocalPlus® health plans are designed to offer the right mix of health care benefits at the right price. The health plan offers you cost-efficient access to a local network that is limited to quality doctors, specialists and hospitals, right where you live, and who understand the needs of your community.*
If you choose a LocalPlus or LocalPlus In-Network health plan through Cigna, it’s important to know the key features of both plans:
- You have the option of choosing a primary care provider (PCP) to serve as your personal health advocate and coordinate your health care. It’s recommended, but it is not required.
- You don't need referrals to see specialists. Cigna may need to pre-certify hospitalizations and certain outpatient care.
- The plan includes global emergency and urgent care coverage** 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
It’s also important to know how they are different:
- In your local area, or when in any LocalPlus Network area, you must receive care from a health care provider or facility in this LocalPlus network to receive in-network coverage.
- If you’re away from home and need care, simply look for a participating LocalPlus doctor in the area. If you are in an area where a LocalPlus Network isn’t available, you can use doctors or hospitals in our Away From Home Care feature for coverage at the in-network cost.
- If you’re in an area where the LocalPlus Network is available and you choose to go outside the LocalPlus Network (or outside the Away From Home Care feature when LocalPlus isn’t available), you will receive out-of-network coverage.
- In your local area, or when in any LocalPlus In-Network area, you must receive care from a health care provider or facility in this LocalPlus In-Network to receive in-network coverage.
- If you’re away from home and need care, simply look for a participating LocalPlus In-Network doctor in the area. If you are in an area where a LocalPlus In-Network isn’t available, you can use doctors or hospitals in our Away From Home Care feature for coverage at the in-network cost.
- If you’re in an area where the LocalPlus In-Network is available and you choose to go outside the LocalPlus In-Network (or outside the Away From Home Care feature when LocalPlus isn’t available), your care will not be covered by the plan (except in an emergency as defined by your plan documents).
MASSACHUSETTS INSUREDS ONLY: LocalPlus is a Limited Provider Network.*
* This plan provides access to a network that is smaller than Cigna’s national Open Access Plus (OAP) Network. In this plan you have access to in-network benefits only from the health care providers and facilities in the LocalPlus Network when in a LocalPlus Network service area. Please consult the limited network directory to determine which doctors and hospitals are included in the LocalPlus Network. For a paper copy, please ask your employer.
** Emergency Services and urgent care services as defined by your plan documents will be covered at the in-network level.
In Texas, LocalPlus plans are considered Preferred Provider plans, and LocalPlus IN plans are considered Exclusive Provider plans, with certain managed care features.
Medical plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, see your plan documents. TN policy form: HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al.