For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
Running your own show means you wear lots of different hats. One of them is Head Health Insurance Buyer. With no Benefits Department to call the shots, the ball is in your court. And when you're paying the bills, you want quality coverage and a good value.
Wondering where to start when it comes to buying health insurance? Let's look at the basics of a health insurance plan. Whether you're single or have a family, here are some key features of a quality plan.
What should I look for?
- Options. You want a choice of plans at prices that work for you.
- Quality care. You need access to personalized treatment from doctors and hospitals, no matter where you are.
- Discounted rates. You'll want a range of in-network doctors and hospitals to choose from, so you can take advantage of discounted rates.
- Annual check-ups and preventive care at no additional cost.* Preventive care, such as your annual exam and screenings, help you stay healthy. These should be covered under your plan benefits.
- Easy-to-use tools. Online tools can help you pick plans and find doctors, and predict your costs.
- 24/7 service. When you have questions, you need access to claim and health care experts who can answer them.
How can I save money?
Because you're in business for yourself, your health care costs make a difference to your bottom line. The right health insurance plan can help you save money on out-of-pocket costs. When you visit in-network providers, you get access to the lower rates that they've negotiated with your health plan. When you see an out-of-network provider, your costs are typically higher. That's why it's important to choose a health plan with in-network health care providers and hospitals in your area.
How can I save time?
Time is precious when you're running your own business. It helps to choose a plan with a customized, easy-to-use online website and mobile app, so you can manage your health whenever, wherever you are. Get health information, find in-network providers, pay your health insurance premiums, view your health care claims, and print temporary ID cards.
And when you have a health issue on your mind, you want answers. It helps to have a health information line to call. Talk to a nurse 24/7 to get information and help finding answers to your health-related questions.
How can Cigna help?
Cigna health plans make sense for self-employed people like you. We can help you choose a Cigna health insurance plan that's right for your needs and your budget. Find out about the plans and policies Cigna offers:
*Plans may vary. Includes eligible in-network preventive care services. Some preventive care services may not be covered, including most immunizations for travel. Reference plan documents for a list of covered and non-covered preventive care services.