Cigna Foundation Gives North Texas Accountable Healthcare Partnership First Monetary Grant
02 March 2011
- $50,000 grant given to improve treatment and care for Texas patients with diabetes and congenital heart disease
- The group will promote local market care coordination and enhanced clinical performance
PHILADELPHIA - March 2, 2011 - The Cigna Foundation announced today that it has awarded the North Texas Accountable Healthcare Partnership (NTAHP) its first grant to help establish a community-wide effort to strengthen care coordination and improve quality in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.* NTAHP is comprised of leaders from all areas of the industry, including hospitals, physicians, employers of all sizes and health plans.
"We are thrilled to provide the initial grant to the North Texas Accountable Healthcare Partnership to help them strengthen how area residents receive care for diabetes and congenital heart disease," stated Gianna Jackson, executive director of the Cigna Foundation. "Local initiatives are the building blocks for improving health care as they focus on relevant community issues and develop solutions that work for doctors, hospitals, businesses and insurers in North Texas. We are pleased to jump-start this local effort."
NTAHP is working to help improve quality and value through reporting on agreed-upon evidence-based quality metrics for diabetes and congenital heart disease, redesigning care coordination services at physician offices, establishing rewards and incentives for hospitals and physicians who deliver high quality care, and creating common health plan designs that encourage patient accountability.
"The best way to improve care in North Texas is to bring all stakeholders together to work for a common solution," adds David Toomey, president and general manager for Cigna HealthCare in North Texas and a founding board member of the NTAHP. "The grant from the Cigna Foundation gives NTAHP the initial funding to build the infrastructure required to establish clinical outcomes and deliver evidence-based solutions that improve how North Texans receive care."
Additional efforts being undertaken by NTAHP include the development of a health information exchange to ensure clinical best practices are delivered at the time of care.
MEDIA CONTACT: Gwyn Dilday
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in over 27 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 65 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19