Cigna Receives Gold Award for Best Practices in Empowering, Protecting Consumers
- Cigna's "Bipolar Medication Adherence" program among 20 finalists in leading health care accreditation organization's awards
- Program helps individuals with bipolar disorder adhere to medication through education, self-management and coaching
- Studies show increasing medication compliance lowers both cost and patient risk
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., October 12, 2011 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) has received a gold award for its Bipolar Medication Adherence program at URAC's 2011 Quality Summit and Awards Program.
Bipolar disorder is a chronic mental health disorder characterized by cycling manic and depressive episodes that disrupt healthy, functional lives. It is the sixth leading cause of disability worldwide.
Despite recent advances in medication treatments, many patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder do not take their medication as directed. Studies show education/counseling and development of self-management strategies or behaviors will lead to the promotion of adherence, decreasing costs and patient risks.
Cigna has recognized the need to reduce this gap in care for individuals struggling with bipolar disorder. The foundation of the program includes using educational materials, health care professional collaboration and coaching, thus promoting improved quality of life and well-being.
"We're honored to receive this award and pleased that so many individuals are leading more stable lives by engaging in our programs," said Neal Cohen, vice president of operations for Cigna's behavioral health business. "Promotion, education, counseling and measurement are what make this a winning program."
URAC is a leading health care accreditation organization. The organization's Best Practices in Health Care Consumer Empowerment and Protection Awards recognize health care management programs that demonstrate quality improvements in the health care delivered to consumers.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 66 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- CIGNA IS PROUD TO BE THE PRESENTING SPONSOR OF THE MARINE CORPS MARATHON CONTINUING A TRADITION OF HONORING MEMBERS OF THE US ARMED FORCES
- Cigna Launches Evernorth To Accelerate Delivery Of Innovative And Flexible Health Service Solutions
- John Webb Named Cigna Market President for West Tennessee/Arkansas/Mississippi
- Cigna Expands Offerings for Individuals - Increasing Access to Quality Care in More Communities Across the Country
- Cigna and Dignity Health Reach Agreement on Access to Affordable, Quality Care in California and Nevada
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the 2020 Morgan Stanley Healthcare Conference