Cigna's Gains on Health Plan Quality Report Card Reflect Improved Health and Well-being of Customers
- Cigna had year-over-year improvements in more than 65 percent of measures tracked
- Exceeded national average and national competitors on dozens of measures
- Company's clinical initiatives focused on improved quality and better health outcomes
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., October 13, 2011 - Data released today by the independent non-profit National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) show that Cigna plans continue to improve health care quality. Cigna said its plans had year-over-year improvements in more than 65 percent of measures that NCQA tracked. For example, gains included more adherence to prescribed medications and more people having good control of cholesterol and blood pressure.
Cigna's analysis also indicates that it continues to exceed the national average and the averages of its national competitors in dozens of quality measures.
"A strong focus on quality is fundamental to the work we do to help our customers improve their health and well-being," said Dr. Dick Salmon, Cigna's national medical director for performance measurement and improvement. "Better quality produces better health outcomes and improved health for individuals, and ultimately leads to lower health care costs. Cigna is committed to measuring and improving the quality of our programs continually and reporting those results to the public."
According to Salmon, quality plays a key role in the company's nine collaborative accountable care programs, which are focused on achieving the "triple aim" of improved quality, lower cost and patient satisfaction.
Cigna's quality-focused clinical initiatives target specific populations and encourage people to get important follow-up care or preventive screenings. Some of these programs include:
- An award-winning colon cancer screening program that targets people ages 50 to 64 who have not had a screening and encourages them to get screened.
- A cholesterol management initiative that encourages individuals ages 18 to 64 who have cardiovascular disease or who have had a cardiovascular procedure to discuss with their doctor how to achieve their cholesterol management goals.
- A post partum initiative that reminds new mothers about the importance of keeping their post partum medical appointments.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 66 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://newsroom.cigna.com/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the Goldman Sachs 40th Annual Global Healthcare Conference
- Cigna Named to CR Magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens for Fifth Consecutive Year
- Cigna Commits $140,000 to Methodist and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital Foundations to Expand Community Health and Well-being Services
- Cigna Corporation to Host Investor Day on May 31, 2019
- Bridges Health Partners LLC and Cigna Announce Collaborative Accountable Care Agreement to Improve Health and Lower Costs in Western Pennsylvania
- Cigna Delivers Strong First Quarter 2019 Results, Raises Outlook