Cigna Celebrates Children's Eye Health and Safety Month
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., August 14, 2013 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) is celebrating Children's Eye Health and Safety Month in August by launching a new audio podcast to help parents and caregivers understand the important developmental stages of their children's vision and to nurture healthy vision and eye safety.
Dr. Denis Humphreys, acting optometry director for Cigna, discusses the eye's visual developmental stages, learning-related vision disorders, children's eye safety and care beyond 20/20 in the online seven-minute oral presentation.
"From birth through school, healthy eyes and good vision are critical to development of children and the learning process," said Dr. Humphreys. "Parents should work with their child's pediatrician to verify visual developmental stages are being met and parents should also ensure the eyes are protected during play and outdoor activities. Ninety percent of the one million eye injuries each year are preventable."
As parents prepare to send their children back to school with physicals and immunizations up-to-date, they also should be sure their child's vision is checked out by a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist, and children should always wear protective goggles while involved in sports. "Parents should also realize that any injury to the eye should be considered serious and should be treated immediately," said Dr. Humphreys. Prevent Blindness America reports that hospital emergency rooms treat more than 40,000 eye injuries every year that are sports-related.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger
- Cigna Expands and Extends Its COVID-19 Relief Efforts for Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans