Cigna Celebrates Children's Eye Health and Safety Month
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., August 14, 2013 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) is celebrating Children's Eye Health and Safety Month in August by launching a new audio podcast to help parents and caregivers understand the important developmental stages of their children's vision and to nurture healthy vision and eye safety.
Dr. Denis Humphreys, acting optometry director for Cigna, discusses the eye's visual developmental stages, learning-related vision disorders, children's eye safety and care beyond 20/20 in the online seven-minute oral presentation.
"From birth through school, healthy eyes and good vision are critical to development of children and the learning process," said Dr. Humphreys. "Parents should work with their child's pediatrician to verify visual developmental stages are being met and parents should also ensure the eyes are protected during play and outdoor activities. Ninety percent of the one million eye injuries each year are preventable."
As parents prepare to send their children back to school with physicals and immunizations up-to-date, they also should be sure their child's vision is checked out by a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist, and children should always wear protective goggles while involved in sports. "Parents should also realize that any injury to the eye should be considered serious and should be treated immediately," said Dr. Humphreys. Prevent Blindness America reports that hospital emergency rooms treat more than 40,000 eye injuries every year that are sports-related.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Helps Customers Affected by California Wildfires, Cigna Foundation Donates $25,000 to the American Red Cross for Recovery
- Cigna Names Jim Hickey as Market President for South Texas Commercial Health Plans
- Cigna Furthers Commitment to Promote Mental Well-Being by Collaborating With Happify Health and Prevail Health to Offer New Digital Tools
- New Cigna Pregnancy App Enables Improved Health and Lower Costs For Pregnant Women
- Cigna Reports Strong Third Quarter 2018 Results, Raises Outlook
- Cigna Study Shows Improved Health, Well-being and Affordability for Individuals with Integrated Medical, Behavioral and Pharmacy Benefits