Cigna Releases Company's First Corporate Responsibility Report
- Environmental: Establishes new 2017 targets
- Social: Focuses on children's wellness, senior care, women's health, health equity
- Governance: Mandates 100% of Cigna employees complete ethics training
- Cigna Connects CR Platform: Serves as catalyst for action
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., September 16, 2014 - Cigna (NYSE:CI) today released its 2013 Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, available online at www.cigna.com/corporateresponsibility. The company's first CR report encompasses Cigna's U.S. operations, provides a detailed look at Cigna's CR platform - Cigna Connects - and highlights how the company's environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and priorities support the company's core businesses and create benefits for Cigna stakeholders.
As its name implies, the Cigna Connects CR platform is designed to spark creative connections that help achieve the company mission of helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. The CR report illustrates how the company's charitable giving and volunteerism - through the expertise and resources of Cigna's 35,000 employees - work with communities to make a difference in four priority areas of children's wellness, senior care, women's health and health equity.
"Inspired by our mission, Cigna Connects is having a positive impact on the health of people, communities and the environment," said Cigna Chief Executive Officer David Cordani. In a video introducing the report, Cordani explains that through Cigna Connects, Cigna works together with its many stakeholders - employees, clients, consumers, communities, health care professionals and others - to be a catalyst for change around the world: www.cigna.com/corporateresponsibility.
The new report provides relevant facts, figures and stories about how CR at Cigna strategically aligns with Cigna's mission and brand promise by creating shared value for Cigna stakeholders and society. A sampling of findings from the report includes:
- Establishes 2017 environmental targets - nine percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, nine percent reduction in energy use, three percent reduction in water consumption.
- Requires 100 percent paper destruction policy for all office paper.
- Celebrates Cigna's receipt of the U.S. Surgeon General's Medallion of Honor in recognition of exceptional achievements that advance the cause of public health and medicine.
- Recognizes Cigna's Health Equity Council's award for innovation in reducing health care disparities from National Business Group on Health.
- Confirms 94 percent of Cigna employees and families are tobacco-free.
- Outlines new Cigna Foundation World of Difference grants focused on four critical health issues of children's wellness, senior care, women's health and health equity.
- Describes nine Cigna Colleague Resource Groups working on initiatives that increase the understanding of particular needs within Cigna's customer segments.
Governance and Ethics:
- Documents that 100 percent of new and existing employees are trained in Cigna's Code of Ethics and affirmed their adherence to the Code.
- Shows how the Privacy Steward program supports and drives privacy compliance within the business/corporate areas.
- Explains how suppliers must comply with Cigna Policy Guidelines which includes our Code of Ethics.
"Publishing our first CR Report required a comprehensive process that involved the entire organization. We hope this report continues to enhance lines of communication with Cigna's stakeholders. The dialogue prompted by this report creates opportunities to better understand areas of interest and expectations and discover new opportunities to serve others," Cordani said.
Data presented in the report is from 2013 and will serve as the baseline for future reports. The report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. GRI is the most widely used framework for voluntary, nonfinancial reporting.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE:CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 85 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Expands Personalized Diabetes Prevention Program in Collaboration with Omada Health
- U.S. Department of Justice Grants Clearance to Cigna’s Acquisition of Express Scripts
- Cigna Foundation Donates $100,000 to American Red Cross for Hurricane Florence Relief
- Cigna Announces Cigna Ventures with $250 Million to Fund Transformative Innovation and Growth for Health Care
- Cigna Helps Residents in Affected States Prepare for Hurricane Florence
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing of $20 Billion of Senior Notes