To Help Individuals Worried About the Financial Impact of an Injury, Cigna Adds New Accident Expense Product to Its Supplemental Health Solutions
- Optional Add-on Riders Provide Customization for Personal Needs
AUSTIN, Texas, April 24, 2014 - Cigna (NYSE:CI) has launched a new personal Accident Expense insurance product, adding to a suite of Cigna Supplemental Solutions® individual insurance products insured by Loyal American Life Insurance Company.
Approximately one in eight Americans seek medical treatment for accidents every year, according to the National Safety Council,1 and a 2013 Cigna survey found that 84% of U.S. workers have worried about the financial impact of a serious illness or injury. Cigna's Accident Expense policy helps people manage unexpected medical expenses by providing benefit options ranging between $2,500 and $25,000 for reimbursement of out-of-pocked medical expenses not already paid by other insurance, if they are in a covered accident. Examples include costs associated with an ambulance service, emergency room treatments and doctor visits during recovery.
"Accidents can lead to a sudden increase in out-of-pocket medical expenses that can be hard for a household budget to absorb," said David Chambers, divisional vice president of brokerage sales for Cigna's Supplemental Benefits. "Cigna's Accident Expense product is simple for customers to understand and to use. It also provides great flexibility with a range of riders for add-on coverage and choice of benefit levels and deductible amounts."
Optional add-on coverages available through a rider include:
- Critical Illness Benefit - Provides a limited lump sum benefit with a maximum amount of $25,000 to help with expenses due to treatment of invasive cancer, heart attack or stroke.
- Parent Benefit- Extends coverage to parents of the policyholder and/or covered spouse.
- Vehicular Accidental Injury Cash Benefit - Provides an additional limited lump sum with a maximum amount of $5,000 when the covered injury occurs when driving or riding in a car, motorcycle or boat.
Cigna's Accident Expense product is currently available in 18 states and will continue to be rolled out nationally pending regulatory approvals. Licensed agents who would like more information about Cigna's products and services, including the new Accident Expense product, should email CSBMarketing@Cigna.com.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including American Retirement Life Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capabilities in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
1 National Safety Council, Industry Facts Summary 2011
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Expands Personalized Diabetes Prevention Program in Collaboration with Omada Health
- U.S. Department of Justice Grants Clearance to Cigna’s Acquisition of Express Scripts
- Cigna Foundation Donates $100,000 to American Red Cross for Hurricane Florence Relief
- Cigna Announces Cigna Ventures with $250 Million to Fund Transformative Innovation and Growth for Health Care
- Cigna Helps Residents in Affected States Prepare for Hurricane Florence
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing of $20 Billion of Senior Notes