Cigna's Connected Care Approach for Customers with Hepatitis C Achieves 98.4 Percent "Real World" Cure Rates
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., July 17, 2015 - A Cigna (NYSE: CI) analysis has found that 98.4 percent of Cigna Pharmacy Management customers treated with Harvoni for hepatitis C genotype 1 achieved a sustained virologic response (SVR12), meaning they are considered to be cured of hepatitis. The latest analysis continues Cigna's efforts to understand how prescription drugs perform in the "real world" and deliver solutions that generate quantifiable improvements in clinical outcomes and affordability that meet or exceed results seen in clinical trials.
"Our specialty approach focuses on delivering better clinical outcomes and affordability. We focus on the whole customer, collaboration with physicians, and comprehensive customer engagement. This approach goes well beyond just negotiating competitive drug price rates by creating real incentive alignment with drug manufacturers to meet or exceed expected clinical outcomes," said Christopher Bradbury, senior vice president, integrated clinical and specialty drug solutions for Cigna Pharmacy Management. "Our connected care approach drives meaningful improvement in clinical results and affordability and -- as we see with hepatitis C -- delivers powerful, real-world benefits for customers and clients."
Cigna's connected care strategy for hepatitis C includes:
- extensive clinical management to ensure safety and appropriateness;
- comprehensive clinical counseling for all customers regardless of the pharmacy they use;
- a preferred drug approach including development of an innovative outcomes-based incentive with Gilead Sciences (drug manufacturer);
- physician engagement to support evidence-based decision-making; and,
- Cigna's leading specialty pharmacy.
Additional insights from the analysis show:
- 98.1 percent SVR12 for people with cirrhosis and 98.5 percent SVR12 for those without cirrhosis.
- 98.4 percent SVR12 for those with F0-F2 Metavir score, and 98.3 percent SVR12 for people with F3-F4 Metavir score. A Metavir score is a system used to assess the health of the liver.
- 99.3 percent SVR12 for customers who used Cigna's Specialty Pharmacy.
Cigna also found that its connected care approach to working with physicians has helped its customers receive the preferred drug therapy when clinically appropriate, as well as appropriate length of treatment according to evidence-based standards, helping to improve health and affordability:
- 99.0 percent of customers with hepatitis C genotype 1 were treated with Harvoni since implementation of Cigna's preferred drug approach.
- 100 percent of customers achieved SVR12 when Cigna engaged physicians in aligning the length of therapy (8, 12 or 24 weeks) with evidence-based protocols.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 88 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna and Express Scripts Named Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion
- Cigna Returns as Presenting Sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon, Continuing a Tradition of Honoring Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Cigna Corporation’s Second Quarter 2019 Earnings Release Details
- GNS Healthcare Raises $23 Million Led by Cigna Ventures
- Cigna Demonstrates Commitment to Health of People, Communities and Environment
- Cigna's U.S. Loneliness Index Provides Actionable Insights for Improving Body and Mind Health