Cigna Demonstrates Commitment to Health of People, Communities and Environment
Global health service company Cigna released its 2018 Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility Report providing a comprehensive view of the company’s approach to Cigna's environmental, social and governance (ESG) strategic initiatives and performance. The Cigna Connects platform is centered on positively impacting the health of people, communities and the environment by serving as a catalyst of action and convener of stakeholders, and 2018 was a year of progress, connections and new commitments.
“Cigna's vision for an empowered health care system is one that supports and engages people and communities, health care providers, and private and public entities to maximize whole person health,” said Susan Stith, vice president, diversity, inclusion, civic affairs and foundation. “It is through relationships that we better understand challenges and opportunities, and we can best work together to bring positive change.”
Cigna’s ESG initiatives are focused on three key areas: health and well-being, inclusive and responsible business, and environmental sustainability. Within each area, Cigna applies global health services expertise, resources and innovative thinking to help solve complex challenges and help people live healthier, more productive lives.
Highlights from the 2018 report:
Health and Well-Being
- Announced $200 million incremental investment in the Cigna Foundation and communities to improve community services, address childhood wellness issues and help transform health care at the societal and local levels
- As part of the $200 million investment, launched the Healthier Kids for Our Future initiative, a $25 million, 5-year commitment to improve the health of children globally
- Intensified efforts to combat the U.S. opioid epidemic by committing to reduce opioid-related overdoses in targeted communities by 25 percent by year-end 2021
- Contributed $24.3 million in combined giving through Cigna Foundation, Civic Affairs and employee volunteering
- Logged more than 81,000 hours of employee volunteer service valued at more than $2 million
- Launched the Help With Pain initiative to help facilitate pain management conversations between patients and health care providers and promote safe opioid use
Inclusive and Responsible Business
- Scored 100 percent on Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index
- Scored 100 percent on the U.S. Business Leadership Network® Disability Equality IndexSM
- Established goal to increase supplier diversity spend by at least 30 percent
- Contributed approximately $11.6 million in employee educational reimbursements
- Cigna health care providers completed nearly 400 cultural competency training courses
- Employees completed 28,000 cultural competency or language services training courses
- 100 percent of employees affirmed adherence to Cigna Code of Ethics
- Reached 16 LEED® certified buildings and 34 sites enrolled in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR
- Avoided consumption of an estimated 200,000+ single use plastic bottles by installing infused water stations at corporate headquarters
- Worked toward Cigna’s 2020 environmental targets of 20 percent absolute reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, 15 percent absolute reduction in energy use and 10 percent absolute reduction in water consumption (from 2013 base year)
Cigna is in the participant tier of the United Nations Global Compact, and this report shares Cigna's Communication on Progress toward the Compact's 10 principles on human rights, labor standards, environment and anti-corruption in business operations.
For the comprehensive list of Cigna's 2018 ESG initiatives and performance, please view the full Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility Report. Email email@example.com with questions or comments.
The data and information in this Corporate Responsibility Report is reported for calendar year 2018. The scope of the report includes our global operations.
Please note that Cigna’s acquisition of Express Scripts was completed during the final days of 2018. While outside the boundary of this 2018 report, we will be reporting on our combined companies as a singular entity for calendar year 2019.
Cigna’s Corporate Responsibility Report was prepared in accordance with the new Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Standards. The GRI is the most widely used framework for voluntary, non-financial reporting.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna delivers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that advance whole person health. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, Express Scripts companies or their affiliates.
Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance.
Cigna maintains sales capability in over 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has 165 million customer relationships worldwide. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Named Among “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” For Eighth Year in a Row
- Cigna Corporation's Fourth Quarter 2019 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna Adds Crozer-Keystone Health System to its Medicare Network in Pennsylvania
- Cigna And Oscar Announce Strategic Partnership To Offer Differentiated Health Solutions To Small Businesses In Select U.S. Markets
- Cigna Ventures Invests in Two Breakthrough Companies to Accelerate Digital Health Innovation and Connect Customers to Care Anywhere, Anytime
- Cigna Helps People Achieve Aspirational Health Goals at the 2020 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend