Facts about Cigna
Who we are
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service leader dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. We trace our roots back more than 200 years, but we became the company you know today in 1982 with the merger of INA Corporation and Connecticut General Corporation. Ever since, we’ve continued to innovate and expand around the world. We have sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and more than 86 million customer relationships throughout the world. Our more than 37,000 employees serve customers just about everywhere.
Every day, our team works together with our customers in ways they find proactive, personal and empathetic. That spirit of true partnership goes deeper than paying claims, and is often life-changing — helping customers stay well, prevent sickness, obtain access to health care, recover from illness or injury, return to work and provide for their families. Worldwide, we offer our customers and their families peace of mind and a sense of security. We’re with them all the way, through the most critical points in their lives.
What we do
We work together with customers to help them lead a healthy, secure life. We provide customers with personally relevant products and services, and we help customers choose affordable health care and achieve optimal health outcomes.
What partnership means
A partner makes things simpler: As advocates for our customers, our team helps navigate an often confusing health care or insurance system so customers get the care and financial protection they need. We understand our customers as individuals, so we can help them achieve what’s most important to them.
A partner helps you make better choices: Cigna puts the power of information in our customers’ hands. We provide information our customers need to improve their health, identify and fill gaps in their health, wellbeing and security needs, and maximize affordability and value.
A partner cares about outcomes: We collaborate with our vast network of health care professionals and our other colleagues around the world to ensure all our customers obtain quality, cost-effective health care, benefits and insurance protection.
Facts About Cigna
$35 billion in revenues
Ranked 97 on the 2014 Fortune 500 list
$10.8 billion in shareholders’ equity
$2 billion in adjusted income from operations
86 million customer relationships around the world
More than 37,000 employees worldwide
- 14.5 million global medical customers
- 82% of commercial medical customers are in employer self-insured funding arrangements
- 114 Collaborative Accountable Care arrangements in 28 states covering 1.2 million customers
- 158 million medical claims processed in 2014
- 23.9 million behavioral care customers
- 12.9 million covered by dental
- 7.5 million covered by pharmacy
- 7.5 million covered by Group Disability
- 6 million covered by Group Life
- 459,000 Medicare Advantage customers
- 1.2 million Medicare prescription drug customers
- 59,000 Medicaid customers
- Sales capability in approximately 30 countries and jurisdictions
- Service centers open 24 hours a day/365 days a year
- Global network includes more than 1 million partnerships with health care professionals, clinics and facilities including:
- 89,000 participating behavioral health care professionals and 11,400 facilities and clinics
- 74,000 contracted pharmacies 69,700 vision health care providers in more than 24,800 locations
- 134,000 Dental PPO professionals, 20,000 Dental HMO professionals
- A top 100 company on CR Magazine’s 2015 list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens
Get access to Cigna’s financial reports and filings, including stock information.
Explore career opportunities and share in the reinvention of health care.
Our unique approach and initiatives to support a healthier world.