Cigna with Express Scripts is accelerating a new, more sustainable model of health care. Driven by our focus on whole person health, we are delivering even more connected capabilities and innovative solutions that drive savings, engagement, and maximize the value of total health care services.
Personalized, connected care
By having our pharmacy benefit integrated into our medical and behavioral benefits, we have a real-time view across all benefits to provide our customers with a more personalized experience, seamlessly.
- Shared clinical platform helps us proactively identify and engage customers who need support.
- Real-time complex case management and connected behavioral coaching.
- Customer-friendly tools and technology - phone, online resources, text, and video chat.
- Integration drives 22% higher engagement in condition and behavioral coaching, leading to $645 PMPY average medical cost savings for each person we identify for engagement1.
Connected benefits means greater predictability and control over total medical costs.
- Lowest net cost formulary approach focuses on clinical value, not rebates. Drives $42 PMPY average savings2.
- Value-based contracting strengthens our access and influence with drug companies, holding them accountable for the efficacy and value of drugs.
- Collaborative physician arrangements with incentivized performance metrics. Management of costly specialty drugs on both the pharmacy and medical benefit resulting in $9,792 PMPY medical cost savings for those we engage on a specialty medication1 and $86K approx. savings per year3 in therapy administration costs through site of care management.
With connected benefits, we make managing benefits easier by keeping plan design, implementation, and reporting under one Cigna expert team.
- Streamlined benefits with real-time medical, pharmacy, and lab data that fuel important programs we offer at no additional cost, including real-time benefit check, gaps in care, and narcotic therapy management.
- Customers benefit from simple, comprehensive resources and programs. One ID card, one website, one company to take care of it all.
- Our clients see an average of $193 PMPY savings through integrated medical, pharmacy, behavioral1. Also, with access to multiple services that are typically charged by outside PBMs, they save $37 PMPY in avoided admin costs, on average4.
Pharmacy Clinical Insight from Cigna
The Dose newsletter keeps you up-to-date on insights and updates from Cigna Pharmacy, including industry news and trends, drug recalls, formulary changes, and more. Read The Dose
1 Cigna 2018 National Book of Business study of medical customers who have Cigna pharmacy and behavioral benefits vs. those with Cigna medical and basic behavioral. Average annual per member per year (PMPY) – Individual client/customer results will vary and are not guaranteed.
2 Actual savings from 2016 – 2018 Q2 for clients on Standard/Performance and Value/Advantage formularies, uses average client pricing inclusive of both ingredient cost and rebate improvements, excludes global business.
3 Cigna claims analysis 2017. Includes both retrospective and prospective programs results.
4 Cost avoidance analysis – National Book of Business study July 2017. Individual client/customer results will vary..
Pharmacy benefit plans and management services are offered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Express Scripts, Inc., or their affiliates. “Accredo” refers to Accredo Health Group, Inc., a Cigna company. Accredo is a service mark of Express Scripts Strategic Development, Inc. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. CHLIC policy forms: OK - HP-APP-1 et al., OR - HP-POL38 02-13, TN - HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al.