Our dental expertise and innovative programs can help lower overall costs.
Cigna dental benefits become a powerful extension of your overall benefits portfolio, helping to lower medical costs while improving health outcomes and increasing employee engagement. It’s the reason Cigna is the fastest-growing national dental carrier, serving over 18 million customers.2
With a focus on cultivating an empowered employee experience that helps improve health, our program is personalized and brings together our deep dental expertise with our medical learnings and clinical data. Our expertise is fueled forward through our dental innovation studio. With programs such as Cigna Onsite Dental℠ and Cigna Dental Virtual Care, we make it simple, easy, and affordable for your employees to get the right dental care at the right time. This powerful combination places an emphasis on increasing value to your benefits package, while offering choice to assure we meet the needs of your ever-evolving employee populations.
Our dental expertise and innovative programs are helping us become a leader in the industry and the only dental carrier growing both DPPO and DHMO membership.1
Maximizing the Value of Dental Benefits
We’re your trusted partner in increasing value for your organization and fostering a productive and satisfied workforce.
Our products, networks, and personalized customer tools help your employees find the right dentist for their individual needs. This can help drive better preventive care utilization, a better customer experience, and more savings for both you and your employees.
The Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Health
Cigna dental solutions address your employees’ overall health – both body and mind – to help achieve better health outcomes and improve whole-person health.
Did you know?
- Cavities and gum disease are among the most common chronic diseases in the U.S.2
- Cavities are the single most common chronic disease in children: roughly five times more common than asthma2
- Gum disease can exacerbate diabetes, heart disease, and even lead to pre-term birth for pregnant women2
- Gum disease can cause tooth loss which impacts nutrition, speech, appearance, self-esteem, and overall health2
- 90% of all systemic diseases have oral symptoms2
How we do it
Our insights help improve quality of care.
Our clinical programs help improve future outcomes.
We educate and empower employees in decision-making.
We guide employees to in-network dentists for cost-savings.
Dental Plan Types
Cigna offers a flexible range of group dental plans designed to meet the needs of your organization and your employees. Plan benefits will vary based on plan type and what you discuss with your local Cigna representative.
Your employees can easily balance costs and maximize flexibility.
- National Network Access with 153,500 projected dentists nationally3
- Employees can choose any dentist, but will save more by using a dentist in our large network. Our DPPO network is projected to have a 79% in-network utilization3
- A large network of discounted providers can help you and your employees save on dental costs
- myCigna® search tools empower employees to make value-based decisions which can save on total dental costs
- Cost-saving features and multiple funding options available
- Preventive procedures are covered at little or no extra cost4
Allows employees to maximize savings without sacrificing rich benefits or network access.
- #1 largest network of its kind in the nation with a projected 30,000 providers5
- A projected 21% of DPPO dentists also participate in Access Plus network6– making it easy for employees to switch and save
- 40% lower premiums7
- Flexible plan design options
- Covers treatment8 such as:
- Surgical implants
- Teeth whitening
- The ability to offer up to four cleanings a year
- Crowns and bridges over implants
- Athletic mouth guards
- Cost-saving options are available through coinsurance, customer copayment, and discounts
- CignaFlex Advantage® program lets customers switch monthly between our Cigna Dental Care plans and either the Cigna Dental PPO or the Cigna Traditional indemnity plans—with no additional administrative work options for employers
- When offered as choice with DPPO, employers can save an average of 5-10% on total dental costs9
Your employees get discounted benefits with access to a large network of quality dentists.
- In-network only coverage with access to a large network of dentists
- Out-of-network care may be available at a discounted rate when employees choose a dentist through the Dental Network Savings Program
- Referrals are not required to see a specialist
- Cost-saving features are available through calendar year maximum, deductibles and or waiting periods
A plan that is easy for employees to use, at a wallet-friendly price.
- Dental indemnity-style plan lets employees choose any licensed dentist or specialist
- Set coinsurance amount for all covered services
- Employees may also pay a plan deductible and the difference between coinsurance and the dentist’s usual charges, depending on plan design
- Discounts may be available for employees who choose a dentist through the Dental Network Savings Program
This program offers access to affordable dental care at discounted rates.
- Discount dental program: Customers get access to dental services at discounted rates and pay the entire discounted charge directly to participating dentists10
- Cost-effective option for employers who want to offer part-time employees, seasonal employees, and retirees access to affordable dental care
Benefits of Cigna Dental Plans
|Why Choose Cigna?||Your Employees Get||More Reasons to Choose Cigna|
|Cigna Dental Health Connect™||
A dental care model designed to provide proactive, personalized support that fits within an individual's life and needs
We use clinical insights to help improve health outcomes through our dental programs:
· The Cigna Dental Outreach Program
In addition to these programs:
· Our Cigna Dental Virtual Care Networks continue to grow every year
· We monitor opioid prescribing behaviors
24/7/365 Customer service for questions on claims, coverages, and more
24/7/365 access to Cigna Dental Virtual Care (teledentistry)* to connect with a licensed dentist via phone, tablet, or computer11
myCigna and the myCigna® mobile app to help access their benefits anytime, anywhere
Customers that use myCigna save an average 36.2% more on claims than those who do not use myCigna12
Worldwide in-network coverage for emergencies
In an emergency, your employees won’t be penalized for seeing an out-of-network provider
Optional health and wellness discount programs encourage and reward employees for healthy behaviors
Our client service team provides information to employees to help them maximize the value they get from their annual benefits
Our direct-to-customer email program lets us communicate, engage, and inform your employees throughout the plan year
*Due to state laws governing teledentistry, this service is not available to residents of Texas.
Beyond Preventive Care
Cigna Dental Health Connect® embodies Cigna's innovative approach to helping customers get and stay healthy. Designed to provide proactive and personalized support that fits within an individual’s life and needs, our insights-driven dental solutions help provide care and support that’s meaningful, practical, and timely. So taking care of oral health - and overall health - is easier and more affordable.
1. Based on Q1 2018 LIMRA YOY reporting as of July 2018.
2. Oral Health Conditions, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, May 22, 2019, https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/conditions/index.html
3. Cigna Internal Data and Reporting, December 2019. Network utilization projected for claims across the DPPO and DPPO Advantage networks for 2021.
4. Not all preventive care services are covered. For example, athletic mouth guards and prescription medications are generally not covered. In general, the following limitations apply: two (2) cleanings per calendar year, one (1) bitewing x-ray per calendar year, one (1) full mouth x-ray every five (5) calendar years, and one (1) panorex x-ray every five (5) calendar years. Plans may vary.
5. Projected for January 1, 2019, percentage of contracted providers in the Cigna DHMO network who are also contracted in the Cigna Dental Care Access Plus Network
6. Projected for January 1, 2019, percentage of contracted providers in the Cigna DPPO network who are also contracted in the Cigna Dental Care Access Plus Network.
7. Per Employee Per Month costs are based on national Cigna Book of Business average costs as of year-end 2018. Actual costs will vary. (DHMO section)
8. In most states, individuals must receive services through their network general dentist for coverage to apply, except in emergencies. Prior authorization may be required for certain specialty care treatments. Only those procedures that are medically necessary and listed on the plan’s Patient Charge Schedule (PCS) are covered. Replacement of crowns and inlays, and prosthesis over implants (if unserviceable and cannot be repaired) is limited to one every five years. Services related to the surgical placement of a dental implant are limited to one per year with replacement of a surgical implant frequency limitation of one every 10 years. The frequency limitations of certain other covered services are set forth in the PCS. The following are excluded from coverage unless otherwise listed on the PCS or required by law: (a) Experimental and cosmetic dentistry; (b) Treatments or surgery if associated with a poor or hopeless diagnosis; (c) Recementation of crowns, inlays and onlays, post and cores, and veneers within 180 days of initial placement; (d) Crowns, bridges and implant supported prosthesis used solely for splinting; and (e) Work already in progress for crowns, bridges, dentures, root canal treatment, or implant supported prosthesis. A complete list of your plan’s terms, including exclusions and limitations, is set forth in the applicable plan documents.
9. Per Employee Per Month costs are based on national Cigna Book of Business average costs as of year-end 2018. Actual costs will vary.
10. CignaPlus Savings is a dental discount program and is NOT insurance. This program is administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company or Connecticut General Life Insurance Company with network management services provided by Cigna Dental Health, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries and provides members access to discounted fees, pursuant to schedules negotiated by Cigna Dental with participating providers, which members are responsible for paying in full, directly to participating providers.
11. Cigna provides access to virtual care through national teledental care providers via myCigna.com as part of your plan. Providers are solely responsible for any treatment provided to their patients. Video chat may not be available in all areas or with all providers and is a requirement for this service. See your plan materials for the details of your specific Dental plan. This service is separate from coverage for virtual dental care obtained by your Dental plan's network and may not be available in all areas. A referral is not required for this service.
12. Cigna 7/2018 analysis of dental claims and myCigna.com activity between 2/1/17-4/30/18.
This page is not intended for residents of OK
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group dental insurance policies and dental benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. Cigna Traditional indemnity dental plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC). Cigna Dental EPO and PPO plans are insured and/or administered by CHLIC, with network management services provided by Cigna Dental Health, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries. Cigna Dental Care (DHMO) plans are insured by Cigna Dental Health Plan of Arizona, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of California, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Colorado, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Delaware, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Florida, Inc., a Prepaid Limited Health Services Organization licensed under Chapter 636, Florida Statutes, Cigna Dental Health of Kansas, Inc. (KS & NE), Cigna Dental Health of Kentucky, Inc. (KY & IL), Cigna Dental Health of Maryland, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Missouri, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of New Jersey, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of North Carolina, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Ohio, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Pennsylvania, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Texas, Inc., and Cigna Dental Health of Virginia, Inc. In other states, Cigna Dental Care plans are insured by CHLIC or Cigna HealthCare of Connecticut, Inc., and administered by Cigna Dental Health, Inc. CHLIC policy forms: OK – Indemnity/DPPO: HP-POL99/HP-POL-388, DHMO: POL115; OR - Indemnity/DPPO/DEPO: HP-POL68/HP-POL352, DHMO: HP-POL121 04-10; TN – Indemnity/DPPO/DEPO: HP-POL69/HC-CER2V1/HP-POL389, et al., DHMO: HP-POL134/HC-CER17V1 et al.