Cigna's Behavioral Health programs help you manage health issues in your workforce before they become more serious. We do this through a combination of behavioral, wellness, and pharmacy components. When you include EAP services, there is an enhanced opportunity to improve well-being and productivity. Our comprehensive approach is designed to improve whole health – and your bottom line.
Behavioral issues raise costs and could drain productivity
- 1 in 5 adults in the United States – 46.6 million – experiences mental illness in a given year.1
- Nearly 70% with mental illness also have physical illness.2
- Co-occurring conditions can increase the cost of care by two to three times the cost of treatment for patients without a behavioral condition3
When behavioral health issues are left unmanaged, it can raise costs and could lower productivity. And most importantly, it can impact the life of someone on your team. Behavioral issues are more common – and more expensive – than you may think. Medical and behavioral conditions have high rates of co-occurrence. In fact, co-occurring conditions can increase the cost of care by two to three times the cost of treatment for patients without a behavioral condition.
Better health outcomes and savings
Our combination of programs provide more opportunities to identify and proactively engage customers in behavioral and wellness services, and coaching and support.
Bundling your benefits can improve the health of your employees and reduce total medical costs. A 2018 Cigna integration study showed a $193 per member per year medical cost savings when clients have their medical, behavioral and pharmacy benefits with Cigna.4
Cigna Behavioral Health offers:
- Innovative, evidence-based clinical programs and services focused on reducing the negative impact of behavioral issues
- A personalized customer experience to support individuals – and their families
- Emotional well-being programs and tools
- More than 40 years of experience delivering behavioral health programs designed to prevent relapse and hospital readmission
- A large, national network of over 145,000 behavioral health care providers including virtual behavioral services.5
- Virtual counseling sessions available with over 14,000 clinicians nationwide5
- 24/7/365 crisis and emergency support for your employees
- Extensive expertise in helping to manage treatment compliance and predictive identification of high-cost claimants who can benefit from additional support, education, and help finding in-network providers
- A guided approach that makes it simple to access in-network facilities and providers to help ensure customers are achieving better and more cost-efficient outcomes
- Tools to manage out-of-network substance use treatment and costs such as predictive analytics, customer education, and Substance Use Centers of Excellence
A Cigna study showed that Cigna's Substance Use Centers of Excellence program facilities have 13% lower cost per admission than other in-network, non-designated facilities, and 167% lower than out-of-network facilities.6
- Complex Psychiatric Case Management provides physicians and psychiatrists with a solution for their patients who are taking multiple psychotropic drugs, helping foster appropriate levels of care and adherence to drug therapies to optimize treatment regimens and decrease potential ER visits and/or hospitalizations.
- Narcotics Therapy Management uses comprehensive medical information to identify and address potential inappropriate utilization of narcotics and other controlled substances, encouraging better management of pain by offering tools and resources and addressing fraud and abuse.
- Online resources available on Cigna.com and myCigna.com provide easy access to behavioral awareness series information, articles, podcasts, pain resource hub, and the provider directory.
Cigna's Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Our EAP provides confidential support and assistance to your employees and anyone in the household. Employer services are also included to help address organizational concerns and traumatic events, and to help managers and HR professionals navigate some of the more challenging aspects of their jobs.
Cigna's EAP makes a difference
- 9 in 10 avoid behavioral claims and resolve their issue through EAP7
- 98.4% overall satisfaction8
- 96.4% improved ability to manage stress8
- 93.9% increased productivity8
- 96.3% improved ability to balance work and life8
- 98.6% HR satisfaction with seminars and training8
- 91.3% improved attendance8
- 100% manager satisfaction8
- 99.4% seminar participant satisfaction8
Benefits of Cigna Medical Plans
- 24/7/365 live customer service, when and where employees need it
- Digital tools for employees, including the myCigna® mobile app
- Worldwide in-network coverage for emergencies
- Consumer driven health plan (CDHP) accounts, including health reimbursement accounts (HRAs,) health savings accounts (HSAs), and flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Option for employers to bundle medical, pharmacy, vision, and more
- Optional health and wellness discount programs to encourage and reward employees
- Self-funded and fully insured funding options for employers
- Dedicated client service team
- Educational content for employees, including behavioral health resources
Various service models are available which include the following:
- 24/7/365 live assistance for customer service, crisis triage support and referrals
- Unlimited telephonic consultations with licensed clinicians, both urgent and scheduled appointments
- Face-to-face and telehealth counseling sessions with a nationwide network of EAP counselors
- Access to legal, financial and ID theft support consultation services
- Resource and referral assistance for work/life concerns such as child care, eldercare, pet care, adoption, summer camps, and more
- Convenience services referrals such as home repairs, travel, relocation, event planning, and more
- Live and on-demand webcasts throughout the year
- Behavioral awareness series
- Managing stress tool kit
- Disaster Resource Center
- 24/7/365 management consultation, crisis triage support, and management referrals
- Live and on-demand webcasts throughout the year
- EAP Resources for Managers & Organizations microsite, providing resources, and tools for managers and HR, as well as for disaster response, wellness and program promotion
- Behavioral fitness for duty evaluations at additional cost
- 24/7/365 critical incident stress management services
- Organizational consultation
- Annual bank of employer service hours which can be used for onsite critical incident stress management services, wellness seminars, management training, or benefit/wellness events
- EAP wellness seminars and management training – over 180 topics
- Quarterly reports and analytics plus a reporting portal
- Program promotional tools and collateral
- Client support team
There are also buy up options for service enhancements, such as care kits, geriatric case management, subsidy program administration, substance abuse professional (SAP) evaluation services, and more.
1 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, “Results from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health,” 9/2018.
2 Modern Healthcare, Addressing behavioral health to improve all health; Special Report – Behavioral Health: Fixing a system in crisis, by Steven Ross Johnson, May 27, 2017.
3 Milliman, Economic Impact of Integration Medical-Behavioral Healthcare, January 2018.
42018 Cigna national book of business study of medical customers who have Cigna pharmacy and Total Behavioral Health benefits vs. those with Cigna medical and Fee for Service Inpatient only behavioral benefits. Average annual per member per year (PMPY) estimated medical savings of $193 ranges $166–$220. Individual client/customer results will vary and are not guaranteed.
5 2019 Cigna Behavioral Network Analysis Report as of 8/1/19
6 Cigna Behavioral Health Insights, 2017 National book of business study compared inpatient and outpatient readmission and cost per admission claims data for dates of service 1.1.2017 through 12.31.2017.
7 Cigna Satisfaction Survey, Employee Assistance Program Evaluation, 2018. Results are gathered throughout the year on a statistically significant sample of National and Regional clients who utilized EAP services within that year.
8 Cigna Satisfaction Surveys, Employee Assistance Program Evaluation, Manager Satisfaction, Wellness Seminar Satisfaction, 2018. Results are gathered throughout the year on a statistically significant sample of National and Regional clients who utilized relevant EAP services within that year.
*Discount programs are separate from plan benefits. A discount program is NOT insurance, and the member must pay the entire discounted charge. Some Healthy Rewards programs are not available in all states and programs may be discontinued at any time.
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group health insurance policies and health benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. Cigna group medical plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company or its affiliates, with behavioral benefits and services administered by Cigna Behavioral Health, Inc. For information about behavioral health benefits in California, visit https://www.cigna.com/cignastatedirectory/cigna-in-california Policy forms: OK: HP-APP-1 et al, OR - HP-POL38 02-13, TN: HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al.