Cigna group dental insurance is different. With Cigna, your dental benefits become a powerful extension of your overall benefits portfolio. This can help drive down medical costs while improving health outcomes and increasing employee engagement. It’s the reason we’re the fastest-growing dental carrier, serving over 16 million customers1.
With a focus on cultivating an empowered employee experience that improves health, our program is personalized and brings together our deep dental expertise with our medical learnings and clinical data. This powerful combination places an emphasis on continual increased value to our client’s benefits, while bringing choice to assure we meet the needs of ever-evolving employee populations.
Cigna Dental brings you focused dental expertise and innovative programs, which is helping us become a leader in the industry and the only dental carrier growing both DPPO and DHMO membership1.
Maximizing the Value of Dental Benefits
We’re your trusted partner in increasing value for your organization and fostering a productive and satisfied workforce.
Our products, networks, and personalized customer tools help your employees find the right dentist for their individual needs. This can help drive better preventive care utilization, a better customer experience, and more savings for both you and your employees.
Dental Plan Types
Cigna offers a flexible range of group dental plans designed to meet the needs of you and your employees. Plan benefits will vary based on plan type and what you discuss with your local Cigna representative.
Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO)
- Employees can choose any dentist, but will save more by using a dentist in our large network. In fact, our DPPO network has a 76% in-network utilization2. By providing access to a large network of discounted providers, Cigna can help you save on dental costs.
- Innovative employee engagement tools help customers maximize the value of their annual benefits.
- Cost-saving features and multiple funding options available
- Preventive procedures are covered at little or no extra cost1
Cigna Dental Care® (DHMO4)
- Expanded Access Plus network option offers a projected 80% larger network across 37 states5
- A projected 21% of DPPO dentists also participate in Access Plus network6 – making it easy for employees to choose the Cigna Dental Care (DHMO) plan and save on premiums.
- Eligible in-network care7 is covered with flexible plan design options
- Coverage features such as surgical implant coverage, teeth whitening coverage, the ability to offer up to four cleanings a year, coverage for crowns and bridges over implants, and coverage for athletic mouth guards.4
- Cost-saving options are available through coinsurance, customer copayment and discounts.
- CignaFlex Advantage® program lets customers switch monthly between our Cigna Dental Care plan and either the Cigna Dental PPO or the Cigna Traditional indemnity plans—with no additional administrative work options for clients.
Dental Exclusive Provider Organization (DEPO)
- In-network only coverage with access to a large network of dentists
- Out-of-network care may be available at a discounted rate when employees choose a dentist through the Dental Network Savings Program
- Preventive procedures are covered at little or no extra cost3
- Referrals are not required to see a specialist
- Cost-saving features are available through calendar year maximum, deductibles and or waiting periods
- Dental indemnity-style plan lets employees choose any licensed dentist or specialist.
- Set coinsurance amount for all covered services. Employees may also pay a plan deductible and the difference between coinsurance and the dentist's usual charges, depending on plan design.
- Discounts for employees who choose a dentist through the Dental Network Savings Program.
- Preventive procedures are covered at little or no extra cost.1
- Discount dental program: Customers get access to dental services at discounted rates and pay the entire discounted charge directly to participating dentists.5
- Cost-effective option for employers who want to offer part-time employees, seasonal employees or retirees access to affordable dental care.
Benefits of Cigna Dental Plans
- 24/7/365 live customer service, when and where employees need it
- Digital tools for employees, including the myCigna® mobile app. Customers who use myCigna and have a claim save, on average, 36.2% more than those who do not use myCigna11.
- Worldwide in-network coverage for emergencies
- Option for employers to bundle pharmacy, behavioral health, vision, and more
- Optional health and wellness discount programs to encourage and reward employees
- Dedicated client service team
Beyond Preventive Care
We recognize the connection between dental health and overall health, especially the impact gum disease can have on customers with certain chronic health conditions. That’s why we offer the Cigna Dental Oral Health Integration Program®. This program is designed to mitigate the impact that gum disease can have on chronic medical conditions, and help reduce medical costs for enrolled customers. Cigna dental customers who qualify and enroll in this program may receive 100 percent reimbursement of out-of-pocket costs for specific dental services.10
1Based on Q1 2018 LIMRA YOY reporting as of July 2018.
2Cigna Internal Data and Reporting, July 2018. Network utilization projected for claims across the DPPO and DPPO Advantage networks for 2019
3Not all preventive care services are covered. For example, athletic mouth guards and prescription medications are generally not covered. In general, the following limitations apply: two (2) cleanings per calendar year, one (1) bitewing x-ray per calendar year, one (1) full mouth x-ray every five (5) calendar years, and one (1) panorex x-ray every five (5) calendar years. Plans may vary.
4The term DHMO (“Dental HMO”) is used to refer to product designs that may differ by state of residence of enrollee, including but not limited to, prepaid plans, managed care plans, and plans with open access features.
5Projected 2018 year-end unique general dentist count for Cigna Dental Care – Access Plus Network vs. Cigna Dental Care Access (formerly DHMO) Network. Subject to change.
6Projected for January 1, 2019, percentage of contracted providers in the Cigna DPPO network who are also contracted in the Cigna Dental Care Access Plus Network.
7Minnesota Residents: If you are considering enrollment or are enrolled in a Cigna Dental Care (DHMO) plan through your employer, you must visit your selected network dentist in order for the charges on the Patient Charge Schedule to apply. You may also visit other dentists that participate in our network or you may visit dentists outside the Cigna Dental Care network. If you do, the fees listed on the Patient Charge Schedule will not apply. You will be responsible for the dentist’s usual fee. We will pay 50% of the value of your network benefit for those services. Of course, you’ll pay less if you visit your selected Cigna Dental Care network dentist. Call Customer Service for more information. Oklahoma Residents: Cigna Dental Care (DHMO) for Oklahoma is an Employer Group Pre-Paid Dental Plan. You may also visit dentists outside the Cigna Dental Care network. If you do, the fees listed on the Patient Charge Schedule will not apply. You will be responsible for the dentist’s usual fee. We pay non-network dentists the same amount we’d pay network dentists for covered services. You’ll pay less if you visit a network dentist in the Cigna Dental Care network. Call Customer Service for more information.
8Individuals must receive services through their network general dentist for coverage to apply, except in emergencies. Prior authorization may be required for certain specialty care treatments. Only those procedures that are medically necessary and listed on the plan’s Patient Charge Schedule (PCS) are covered. Replacement of crowns and inlays, and prosthesis over implants (if unserviceable and cannot be repaired) is limited to one every five years. Services related to the surgical placement of a dental implant are limited to one per year with replacement of a surgical implant frequency limitation of one every 10 years. The frequency limitations of certain other covered services are set forth in the PCS. The following are excluded from coverage unless otherwise listed on the PCS or required by law: (a) Experimental and cosmetic dentistry; (b) Treatments or surgery if associated with a poor or hopeless diagnosis; (c) Recementation of crowns, inlays and onlays, post and cores, and veneers within 180 days of initial placement; (d) Crowns, bridges and implant supported prosthesis used solely for splinting; and (e) Work already in progress for crowns, bridges, dentures, root canal treatment, or implant supported prosthesis. A complete list of your plan’s terms, including exclusions and limitations, is set forth in the applicable plan documents.
9CignaPlus Savings is a dental discount program and is NOT insurance. This program is administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company or Connecticut General Life Insurance Company and provides members access to discounted fees, pursuant to schedules negotiated by Cigna Dental with participating providers, which members are responsible for paying in full, directly to participating providers.
10Not applicable to CignaPlus Savings discount program. For Dental Traditional, EPO and PPO plans, deductibles do not apply but reimbursement is applied to and subject to the plan’s calendar year maximum. Customers must enroll in the program prior to receiving services to be eligible for reimbursement.
11Cigna 7/2018 analysis of dental claims and myCigna.com activity between 2/1/17-4/30/18.
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group dental insurance policies and dental benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. Cigna Traditional indemnity dental plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC). Cigna Dental EPO and PPO plans are insured and/or administered by CHLIC, with network management services provided by Cigna Dental Health, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries. Cigna Dental Care (DHMO) plans are insured by Cigna Dental Health Plan of Arizona, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of California, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Colorado, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Delaware, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Florida, Inc., a Prepaid Limited Health Services Organization licensed under Chapter 636, Florida Statutes, Cigna Dental Health of Kansas, Inc. (KS & NE), Cigna Dental Health of Kentucky, Inc. (KY & IL), Cigna Dental Health of Maryland, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Missouri, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of New Jersey, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of North Carolina, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Ohio, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Pennsylvania, Inc., Cigna Dental Health of Texas, Inc., and Cigna Dental Health of Virginia, Inc. In other states, Cigna Dental Care plans are insured by CHLIC or Cigna HealthCare of Connecticut, Inc., and administered by Cigna Dental Health, Inc. Policy forms: OK – DPPO: HP-POL99, DHMO: HP-POL115 (CHLIC); TN – DPPO: HP-POL69/HC-CER2V1 et al, DHMO: HP-POL134/HC-CER17V1 et al (CHLIC).