Our Guiding Principles for Quality, Affordable Care
With health costs increasing, 2 consumers are demanding more value out of their health care dollars.
At Cigna, we use innovative programs and work with both traditional and non-traditional care models to improve access, affordability, and convenience for you and your employees.
Cigna is accelerating value-based innovation through strategic initiatives with providers and employers.
We ask Cigna Collaborative Care (CCC) programs to track their progress in reducing opioid use while improving pain management and substance use treatment.
- More than 200 Accountable Care (ACO) programs3
- More than 140 Specialist programs with 99 specialist groups in six disciplines.3
- More than 130 Hospital programs3
- 14 Localized network options4
- Four Delivery system joint ventures - new collaborations to drive better quality and lower cost of care4
- 59% lower rate of avoidable ER visits includes 28,000 aligned Cigna customers.5
- 28% lower hospital inpatient admission rate - includes 50,000 aligned Cigna customers.5
- 63% lower readmission rate - includes 37,000 aligned Cigna customers.5
- 42% lower rate of reducing overuse of advanced imaging scans per thousand - includes 50,000 aligned Cigna customers.5
- 3% average higher use of generic medication when clinically appropriate - includes 54,000 aligned Cigna customers.5
Cigna Collaborative Care
Cigna Collaborative Care incentivizes providers to deliver the right care for the right value. It gives them more information, insights and support than ever before. It empowers them to deliver better outcomes - and better results for our clients and customers.
We continue to evolve our collaborative care programs using real-world testing and deep provider and customer insights. Our approach helps us meet customer needs where they get health care: primary care physician groups, hospitals and specialist groups.
Since 2008, CCC has delivered a formidable track record of success:
- Generated savings of $424 million through total medical cost reduction since the inception of the program4
- Overall average 2:1 ROI for physician groups since 20146
- On average, top-performing physician groups achieved 10% better quality performance7
- Top-performing physician groups active at least one year saved 3.2% in total medical cost,8 representing a $127 annual savings per patient.9
- 24% of physician groups are performing better than market on total medical costs by 3% or more.10
1Cigna introduced the first commercial accountable care model among national carriers in 2008.
3Cigna internal analysis of existing arrangements as of January 2018. Subject to change.
4Cigna September 2017 analysis of national CCC primary care physician groups with effective dates from 2008 through 2016. Savings are from 77 out of 132 mature groups that created positive savings. Reimbursements paid to all 132 groups are subtracted from the savings to reflect overall investment.
5Better outcomes numbers are compared to market average. Cigna June 2017 analysis of 2016 data of CCC primary care physician groups nationally, active at least one year. Accounts for top five large physician groups. Comparisons with market are established using Cigna internal claims data.
6Cigna August 2017 analysis of national CCC primary care physician group annual results since 2014. ROI Methodology = (Total Savings-Total Care Coordination Reimbursement (CCR) Costs)/Total CCR Costs. Reflects performance since inception of CCC primary care groups with experience of one or more years. Individual client results will vary.
7Cigna July 2017 analysis (weighted average) of top seven national large physician groups per metric compared with local market in 2016. Comparisons with market are established using Cigna internal claims data. “Quality” is based on compliance with evidence-based medicine guidelines.
8Cigna June 2017 analysis of 2016 data of CCC primary care physician groups nationally, active at least one year, that achieved savings. Average saved compared to market PMPM trend for 2015 and 2016.
9Cigna June 2017 analysis of 2016 data of CCC primary care physician groups nationally, active at least one year, that achieved savings. Compared with market PMPM trend for 2015 and 2016. Individual customer/client results will vary.
10Cigna June 2017 analysis of 2016 data of CCC primary care physician groups nationally, active at least one year. Comparisons with market are established using Cigna internal claims data.
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group health insurance policies and health benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. Group health plans are insured or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company or its affiliates. Policy forms: OK - HP-APP-1 et al; OR - HP-POL38 02-13; TN - HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al.