The Personal Connection. Cigna believes in improving health by building strong personal relationships with those we serve. Our approach to community support is the same.
Cigna's employees have a desire to help others. We provide them with a wide range of projects and programs that enable them to carry that passion into their communities, both on the job and off.
Cigna Civic Affairs
Cigna's Civic Affairs team coordinates our charitable giving and fundraising activities and offers our employees meaningful ways to connect with each other and with our neighbors.
Here are some of the types of projects Civic Affairs supports to help fulfill that mission.
- Our annual March of Dimes* campaign connects Cigna employees and their families and friends in a single cause: helping babies. Since 1995, Cigna and its people have donated over $26 million to the March of Dimes.
- Cigna works with Organized Parents Make a Difference* on the award-winning My Friend Taught Me tutoring program, which connects employees in our Bloomfield, CT headquarters with area elementary students to help instill a love of learning that improves educational outcomes.
- The Beyond School Walls (BSW) mentoring program connects employees in our Philadelphia corporate offices with children from nearby low income neighborhoods. It was created through a collaboration of Cigna and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania*. A number of other companies now have programs modeled on BSW.
- Our Community Service Program helps connect employees with charities that have volunteer opportunities and then provides them with eight paid hours annually to volunteer.
- Volunteer service forms an important part of teambuilding at Cigna, connecting employees with each other and connecting us with our customers. For example, more than 100 of Cigna's top IT leaders recently spent a day assembling 2,400 arts and crafts kits for kids needing extended hospital care through a partnership with Project Sunshine*.
Cigna also connects with nonprofit organizations working to improve the health of individuals, families and communities through financial support.
- Cigna Civic Affairs Sponsorships are offered primarily in Hartford, Philadelphia and major Cigna markets to organizations whose goals and approach to service align with Cigna's mission.
- Cigna Corporate Charitable Contributions are funds given to nonprofit organizations through event sponsorships or direct support in communities where Cigna has a presence. Beneficiaries are selected by Cigna employees based in those communities.
Cigna also provides significant grant support to nonprofit organizations whose work supports the goals of the Cigna Foundation.