For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
What are Mental Health Benefits?
These benefits1 provide coverage to enable treatment of mental health conditions under employer sponsored health plans. Your employer’s plan may include access to:
- The Behavioral Health network of licensed mental health providers
- Mental health services and follow up case management services
- Consultations, referral services and outpatient services
- Referrals to local community support groups, behavioral coaches, and online resources
What you need to know about how mental health coverage works2
- Follow your employer’s medical plan requirements to make an appointment with a psychiatrist (a mental health medical doctor), a therapist or an inpatient treatment hospital. Your doctor, counselor or therapist may also refer you and help you coordinate care or treatment.
- Pay your share of costs according to your plan. For plans with a deductible, pay for covered care until you meet the plan deductible, if the plan has one. When you meet the deductible, the plan starts to cover some or all of your costs as outlined in your plan documents. Your mental health and substance use coverage is included under your employer’s medical plan; there’s no separate deductible.
Check your plan documents for information about treatments as you may need prior approval from Cigna before you get the service to receive coverage under your plan.
1Behavioral health benefits are administered by Evernorth Behavioral Health, Inc. For information about behavioral health benefits in California, visit https://www.cigna.com/cignastatedirectory/cigna-in-california
2The details of your employer’s specific plan may vary. Please refer to your plan documents or contact your employer for costs and more information on what’s covered and not covered by the plan.
Medical and behavioral plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, or their affiliates. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, see your plan documents. Policy forms: OK - HP-APP-1 et al., OR - HP-POL38 02-13, TN - HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al. (CHLIC).