What is an Open Access Plus (OAP) plan?
Open Access Plus (OAP) is a type of health insurance plan or health benefits plan that allows you to choose your health care providers. You may have to pay a deductible (annual amount) before the plan begins to pay for covered health care costs. Once you meet your deductible, you pay a copay or coinsurance (a portion of the charges). Depending on what your employer offers, plans may be different.
Cigna Open Access Plus and Cigna Open Access Plus In-Network plans have similar key features:
- You have the option of choosing a primary care provider (PCP) to serve as your personal health advocate and coordinate your health care. It’s recommended, but it is not required.
- Cigna may need to pre-certify hospitalizations and some types of outpatient care, but there's no paperwork for you when using in-network providers.
- The plans include emergency and urgent care coverage* 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
It’s also important to know how these two plans are different:
Cigna Open Access Plus
- You don't need referrals to see specialists.
- You have coverage for out-of-network services, but you will have higher out-of-pocket costs and you may need to file a claim.
Watch Cigna's OAP plan video to learn more.
Cigna Open Access Plus In-Network
- You don't need referrals for in-network specialists.
- Out-of-network services are not covered unless it’s an emergency as defined by your plan documents.
Watch Cigna's OAP In-Network plan video to learn more.
*Emergency Services and Urgent Care Services as defined by your plan documents are covered at the in-network level.
In Texas, Open Access Plus plans are considered Preferred Provider plans, and Open Access Plus In-Network plans are considered Exclusive Provider plans, with certain managed care features. Medical plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC) or Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, see your plan documents. Policy forms: OK - HP-APP-1 et al., OR - HP-POL38 02-13, TN - HP-POL43/HC-CER1V1 et al.