What are Substance Use Benefits?
Cigna Behavioral Health administers claims related to the treatment of substance use under your employer's plan. Your employer's plan may include access to benefits for confidential therapy, a variety of treatment options, and access to recovery specialists.
The plan may also include access to:
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment services, combined with follow-up case management, if needed.
- Personalized coaching and support programs that work with your schedule and life challenges.
- Referrals to local community support groups, behavioral coaches, and online resources.
What you need to know about substance use coverage1
- Follow your employer's medical plan requirements to make an appointment with a doctor, therapist, or inpatient treatment hospital or clinic. Your doctor, counselor or therapist may also refer you and help you coordinate care or treatment if necessary.
- Pay cost share according to your plan. For plans with a deductible, pay for covered care until you meet the plan deductible, if the plan has one. When you meet the deductible, the plan starts to cover some or all of your costs as outlined in your plan documents. Your mental health and substance use coverage is included under your employer's medical plan; there's no separate deductible.
- Check your plan documents for information about treatments that may require prior approval by Cigna before you get the service.
1 Please refer to your plan documents or contact your employer for more information on costs and what's covered and not covered by the plan.