For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
Sweet freedom! You’re no longer tied to a schedule. You’ve retired early, and the years ahead are yours to enjoy. But there’s the question of health insurance. If you’ve been getting your health insurance through your job and you’re not yet 65 years old, you may be asking, “what now?” Shopping for a health insurance plan to meet your coverage needs during early retirement can feel overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. Let's look at the basics of a quality health insurance plan.
What should I look for?
- Options. You want a choice of plans at prices that work for you.
- Quality care. You need access to personalized treatment from doctors and hospitals, no matter where you are.
- Discounted rates. You'll want a range of in-network doctors and hospitals to choose from, so you can take advantage of discounted rates.
- Annual check-ups and preventive care, at no additional cost to you.* Preventive care, such as your annual exam and screenings, help you stay healthy. These should be covered under your plan benefits.
- Easy-to-use tools. Online tools can help you pick plans and find doctors, and predict your costs.
- 24/7 service. When you have questions, you'll want access to claim and health care experts who can answer them.
How can I save money?
You may enjoy your retirement close to your own backyard. Or, maybe you spend your days far from home. The right health insurance plan can help you save money on out-of-pocket costs. When you visit in-network providers, you get access to the lower rates that they've negotiated with your health plan. When you see an out-of-network provider, your costs are typically higher. That's why it's important to choose a plan with in-network health care providers and hospitals in your area.
How can I save time?
You're probably more interested in keeping up with your grand-kids, or improving your golf game, than thinking about health insurance. Save your time for the things that matter. It helps to choose a plan with a customized, easy-to-use online website and mobile app, so you can manage your health wherever you are. Get health information, find in-network providers, pay your health insurance premiums, view your health care claims, and print temporary ID cards.
And when you have a health concern on your mind, you want answers. It helps to have a health information line to call. Talk to a clinician 24/7 to get information and help finding answers to your health-related questions.
How can Cigna help?
Cigna health plans can help meet the needs of early retirees like you. When it's time, we'll tell you when and how to apply for Medicare. Until then, we can help you choose a Cigna health insurance plan that's right for you, and your budget. Find out about the plans Cigna offers:
*Plans may vary. Includes eligible in-network preventive care services. Some preventive care services may not be covered, including most immunizations for travel. Reference plan documents for a list of covered and non-covered preventive care services.