Whether you're a student or out of school, you're on your own and making choices for yourself. But how do you choose the right health insurance plan? If you've turned 261, you’re no longer covered by your parents' plan. So it's time to choose the plan that’s right for you.
Wondering where to start? Let's start by looking at the basics of a quality health insurance plan.
What should I look for?
- Options. When comparing plans keep in mind the total costs, including premiums as well as out-of-pocket costs.
- Quality care. You need access to personalized treatment from doctors and hospitals, no matter where you are.
- Discounted rates. You'll want a range of in-network doctors and hospitals to choose from, so you can take advantage of discounted rates.
- Annual check-ups and preventive care at no additional cost.2 Preventive care, like your annual exam and screenings, help you stay healthy.
- Easy-to-use tools. Online tools can help you pick plans and find doctors, and predict your costs.
- 24/7 service. When you have questions, you'll want access to your claims, as well as health care experts who can answer your questions.
How can I save money?
Like most young adults, you're probably just starting out and watching what you spend. The right health insurance plan can help you save money on out-of-pocket costs. When you visit in-network providers, you get access to lower rates that they've negotiated with your health plan. When you see an out-of-network provider, your costs are typically higher. That's why it's important to choose a plan and visit in-network health care providers and hospitals in your area.
How can I save time?
You've got better ways to spend your time than thinking about health insurance. It helps to choose a plan with a customized, easy-to-use online website and mobile app, so you can manage your health wherever you are. Get health information, find in-network providers, pay your health insurance premiums, view your health care claims, and print temporary ID cards.
And when you have a health issue on your mind, you want answers. It helps to have a health information line to call so you can talk to a clinician 24/7 to get information and help finding answers to your health-related questions.
How can Cigna help?
Cigna offers plans that are designed to be cost-effective and may be available for young adults like you. Find out about the plans Cigna offers:
1Dependent age laws vary by state. View your plan documents for details.
2Plans may vary. Includes eligible in-network preventive care services. Some preventive care services may not be covered, including most immunizations for travel. Reference plan documents for a list of covered and non-covered preventive care services.