Medicare Extra Help
Medicare helps pay prescription drug costs for people who qualify.
What is Medicare Extra Help?
Medicare gives "extra help" to pay prescription drug costs for people who have limited income and resources. Resources are your savings and stocks, but not your home or car. If you qualify, you will get help paying for any Medicare drug plan's monthly premium, yearly deductible, and drug copays. This extra help will count toward your out-of-pocket costs.
How do I qualify for Extra Help?
Here are some ways you can qualify for Extra Help:
- If you get full Medicaid benefits, you are automatically eligible for Extra Help—there is no need to apply separately. Medicare will mail you a letter with information about Extra Help when you qualify.
- If you get any help from Medicaid paying your Medicare premiums or receive Supplemental Security Income, you will automatically get Extra Help and do not need to apply separately. However, you will need to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan.
- If you have limited income and resources and don’t get help from Medicaid, you can apply for Extra Help and enroll in a Medicare drug plan1. Call 1 (800) MEDICARE
, 24/7 (TTY ).
How do I prove I’m eligible for Extra Help?
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) started the Best Available Evidence (BAE) policy to deal with Extra Help eligibility. BAE makes sure that people getting Extra Help aren’t charged too much or have higher copayments than you’re supposed to.
According to CMS, all plan sponsors, like Cigna, must accept BAE sent by someone applying for Extra Help if they are eligible, even if Medicare records don’t show it. Once you’ve sent Best Available Evidence to Cigna Medicare, we will ask CMS to change your status in their system.
Some acceptable forms of Best Available Evidence are:
- A copy of your Medicaid card (if you have one)
- A copy of a state document that shows you have Medicaid
- A print-out from a state electronic enrollment file or from your state's Medicaid systems that shows you have Medicaid
- A screenprint from the State's Medicaid systems showing Medicaid status
- Any other document from your state that shows you have Medicaid
- A document from your state that shows you have Medicaid and are getting home- and community-based services
- Social Security Administration (SSA) Award Letter
- An “Application Filed by Deemed Eligible” (SSA publication HI 03094.605) confirming that the beneficiary is “automatically eligible for extra help”
Medicare and Social Security Info:
, 24/7 (TTY )
- The Social Security Office at
between 7 am and 7 pm, Monday through Friday (TTY users should call )
- Your local State Medicaid Office
Interested in More Information?
More Member Resources and Services
Get help managing chronic or new health issues.
Discounts on health and wellness programs (myCigna login required).
Support from Cigna Medicare clinical pharmacists.
Save on copays with a Cigna preferred network pharmacy.
1Refer to your
Customer Plan Links
Other Cigna Websites
Medicare Advantage Policy Disclaimers
All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation. The Cigna name, logos, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc. All clinical products and services of the LivingWell Health Centers are either provided by or through clinicians contracted with HealthSpring Life & Health Insurance Company, Inc., HealthSpring of Florida, Inc., Bravo Health Mid-Atlantic, Inc., and Bravo Health Pennsylvania, Inc. or employees leased by HS Clinical Services, PC, Bravo Advanced Care Center, PC (PA), Bravo Advanced Care Center, PC (MD) and not by Cigna Corporation. The Cigna name, logos, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc. All pictures are used for illustrative purposes only.
Cigna contracts with Medicare to offer Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO plans and Part D Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) in select states, and with select State Medicaid programs. Enrollment in Cigna depends on contract renewal.
Medicare Supplement Policy Disclaimers
Medicare Supplement website content not approved for use in: Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Virginia.
AN OUTLINE OF COVERAGE IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. We'll provide an outline of coverage to all persons at the time the application is presented.
Our company and agents are not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. Government or the federal Medicare program. This is a solicitation for insurance. An insurance agent may contact you. Premium and benefits vary by plan selected. Plan availability varies by state. Medicare Supplement policies are underwritten by Cigna National Health Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, American Retirement Life Insurance Company or Loyal American Life Insurance Company. Each insurer has sole responsibility for its own products.
The following Medicare Supplement Plans are available to persons eligible for Medicare due to disability: Plan A in Arkansas, Connecticut, Indiana, Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia; Plans A, F, and G in North Carolina; and Plans C and D in New Jersey for individuals aged 50-64. Medicare Supplement policies contain exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policies may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact the company.
This website is designed as a marketing aid and is not to be construed as a contract for insurance. It provides a brief description of the important features of the policy. Please refer to the policy for the full terms and conditions of coverage.
American Retirement Life Insurance Company, Cigna National Health Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company do not issue policies in New Mexico.
Kansas Disclosures, Exclusions and Limitations
Medicare Supplement Policy Forms: Plan A: CNHIC-MS-AA-A-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-A-KS; Plan F: CNHIC-MS-AA-F-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-F-KS; Plan G: CNHIC-MS-AA-G-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-G-KS; Plan N: CNHIC-MS-AA-N-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-N-KS
Exclusions and Limitations:
The benefits of this policy will not duplicate any benefits paid by Medicare. The combined benefits of this policy and the benefits paid by Medicare may not exceed one-hundred percent (100%) of the Medicare Eligible Expenses incurred. This policy will not pay benefits for the following:
(1) the Medicare Part B Deductible;
(2) any expense which You are not legally obligated to pay; or services for which no charge is normally made in the absence of insurance;
(3) any services that are not medically necessary as determined by Medicare;
(4) any portion of any expense for which payment is made by Medicare or other government programs (except Medicaid); or for which payment would have been made by Medicare if You were enrolled in Parts A and B of Medicare;
(5) any type of expense not a Medicare Eligible Expense except as provided previously in this policy;
(6) any deductible, Coinsurance or Co-payment not covered by Medicare, unless such coverage is listed as a benefit in this policy; or
(7) Preexisting Conditions: We will not pay for any expenses incurred for care or treatment of a Preexisting Condition for the first six (6) months from the effective date of coverage. This exclusion does not apply if You applied for and were issued this policy under guaranteed issue status; if on the date of application for this policy You had at least six (6) months of prior Creditable Coverage; or, if this policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy and a six (6) month waiting period has already been satisfied. Evidence of prior coverage or replacement must have been disclosed on the application for this policy. If You had less than six (6) months prior Creditable Coverage, the Preexisting Conditions limitation will be reduced by the aggregate amount of Creditable Coverage. If this policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy, credit will be given for any portion of the waiting period that has been satisfied.