For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
MRIs, CTs and PET scans can cost much less at some facilities. You can save by making a more informed choice about where you get your services.
If you decide to save money by going to a more cost-effective facility, Cigna can help. Our Informed Choice program representatives can schedule your appointment at an in-network facility and help you understand if prior approval is necessary.
You and your doctor always have the final say over where you have these services performed. But by learning about more cost-effective facilities, you're empowered to make more informed choices.
What is the Cigna Informed Choice Program?
When you have the tools and services, you can make better, more informed decisions about your health and how your money is spent.
The Cigna Informed Choice program is a support and outreach initiative that seeks to educate customers scheduled for an MRI, CT, or PET scan. Find out your options to receive these radiology health care services at more cost-effective, geographically convenient facilities.
How does the Cigna Informed Choice Program work?
An Informed Choice program representative may contact you when an ordering physician has requested a higher-cost facility for high-technology radiology services, and the representative is able to identify other conveniently located in-network facilities which offer the same radiology health care services at a lower cost. These are the steps:
- Your doctor contacts us to request approval for an MRI, CT, or PET scan.
- While reviewing the request, we also check to see where the doctor ordered the services to be performed.
- We check to see if another in-network, local facility offers the same services at a lower cost.
- If we find a more cost-effective facility, we’ll call you to let you know.
How do I benefit from the program?
Through the Cigna Informed Choice program, you get:
- One-on-one attention from an Informed Choice representative.
- Information about conveniently located, in-network facilities that can perform the services you need.
- Cost comparisons, so you know how much money you could save by choosing a more cost-effective facility.
- Help with scheduling your appointment at the lower cost facility.
- Information about the scan approval, including the authorization number.
We can also connect you directly with our Customer Service team. They can help answer any other questions you might have about benefits, account-based plans such as a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) or Health Savings Account (HSA), or other plan details.
Frequently Asked Questions
An Informed Choice program representative only contacts you when:
- Your doctor has requested a higher-cost facility for your MRI, CT, or PET scan, and
- There are other in-network, local options that offer the same radiology health care services for less money.
We do not contact you:
- If your scan is for an urgent or emergency situation, or
- When the choice of another in-network facility is not appropriate due to clinical circumstances or doesn’t meet your needs.
No. We only contact you when other local, in-network facilities offer the same services at a lower cost.
- The Informed Choice representative will call you within an hour of your service being approved.
- If you’re not there, the representative will leave you a voicemail, including a call-back number.
- You may receive up to three follow-up calls (each day).
The Informed Choice representative will always suggest facilities that are in-network. These facilities are periodically reviewed by Cigna to confirm their qualifications and credentials meet Cigna's standards. Using one of them will help save you money. We only suggest facilities that are near your home or your doctor’s office. These lower-cost facilities also may be more convenient for you. They may offer free parking and may have evening and weekend hours.
However, you always choose where to receive your services.
An Informed Choice representative can provide more information about specific facilities to help you choose the right one for you. You can also review and compare quality and cost information for in-network facilities on myCigna.com or the myCigna® app.
The Informed Choice call representative can outline the cost differences at various facilities for you. You can also visit the myCigna® website to review average prices for scans at various facilities.
No. Other facilities outside the hospital typically offer the same scan services that hospitals offer. But, they also usually cost less and often have early and late hours, as well as free parking.
Once you select a facility, we will send a fax (including the authorization number) to your doctor’s office. We’ll also contact the facility you select.
The facilities in your plan’s network are reviewed by Cigna to confirm their qualifications and credentials meet Cigna's standards. Also, choosing lower cost options can help reduce health care and insurance costs generally and help your employer or health insurance provider continue to provide the same level of benefit for radiology services in the future. So, choosing higher-cost alternatives may mean you’ll have to pay higher deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs in the future.
Beside cost, other factors could affect where you choose to receive your care. You may prefer a facility with early morning or late hours, or one that’s closer to your home, doctor’s office, or work.
*Program availability may vary by plan.
1Copayment is the amount you pay towards a doctor's visit. Deductible is the amount you pay for covered services before your plan begins to pay.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not medical advice or services. Always consult with your health care provider and consider all relevant factors when making decisions related to your health care.