Health Insurance for the Self-Employed
Find the right insurance for your needs.
Running your own show means you wear lots of different hats. So when it comes to paying the bills, you want quality coverage and a good value.
Wondering where to start when it comes to buying health insurance? Let's look at the basics of a health insurance plan. Whether you're single or have a family, here are some key features of a quality plan.
What should I look for?
- Options: You want a choice of plans at prices that work for you.
- Quality care: You need access to personalized treatment from doctors and hospitals, no matter where you are.
- Discounted rates: You'll want a range of in-network doctors and hospitals to choose from, so you can take advantage of discounted rates.
- Annual check-ups and preventive care at no additional cost1: Preventive care, such as your annual exam and screenings, help you stay healthy. These should be covered under your plan benefits.
- Easy-to-use tools: Online tools can help you pick plans and find doctors, and predict your costs.
- 24/7 service: When you have questions, you need access to claim and health care experts who can answer them.
How can I save money?
Because you're in business for yourself, your health care costs make a difference to your bottom line. The right insurance plan can help you save money on out-of-pocket costs. When you visit in-network providers, you get access to the lower rates that they've negotiated with your plan. When you see an out-of-network provider, your costs are typically higher. That's why it's important to choose a plan with in-network health care providers and hospitals in your area.
How can I save time?
Time is precious when you're running your own business. It helps to choose a plan with a customized, easy-to-use online website and mobile app, so you can manage your health whenever, wherever you are. Get information, find in-network providers, pay your health insurance premiums, view your claims, and print temporary ID cards.
And when you have a health issue on your mind, you want answers. It helps to have a health information line to call. Talk to a nurse 24/7 to get information and answers to your health-related questions.
How can Cigna help?
Cigna health plans make sense for self-employed people like you. We can help you choose a Cigna health insurance plan that's right for your needs and your budget. Find out about the plans and policies Cigna offers:
Health Insurance Dental Insurance Supplemental Insurance
Explore Our Plans and Policies
1 Plans may vary. Includes eligible in-network preventive care services. Some preventive care services may not be covered, including most immunizations for travel. Reference plan documents for a list of covered and non-covered preventive care services.
I want to...
Secure Member Sites
Cigna Company Information
Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see
All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.