Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer For Medicare For Providers For Brokers For Employers Español For Individuals & Families: For Individuals & Families Medical Dental Other Supplemental Explore coverage through work How to Buy Health Insurance Types of Dental Insurance Open Enrollment vs. Special Enrollment See all topics Shop for Medicare plans Member Guide Find a Doctor Log in to myCigna
Home Individuals & Families Member GuideHow to Use Your HSA, HRA, or FSA

What HSA, FSA, and HRA expenses can be reimbursed?

HSA (Health Savings Account) or Health Care FSA (Flexible Savings Account):
You can reimburse yourself for medical and dental expenses that qualify as federal income tax deductions (whether or not they exceed the IRS minimum applied to these deductions) under Section 213(d) of the tax code.

HRA (Health Reimbursement Account):
Your employer determines which health care expenses are eligible under an HRA. To determine if the below listed expenses can be paid by your HRA, please refer to your coverage plan.

View a complete list of eligible expenses for HSA, FSA, and HRA reimbursement.

Getting reimbursed

An FSA (flexible spending account) and HRA (health reimbursement account) require two forms of documentation. The IRS has strict rules on how FSA/HRA expenses can be paid, so it’s really important to follow the instructions on your Health Care Reimbursement Form.

1. To download the appropriate Health Care Reimbursement Request Form, visit Customer Forms

2. Read the claim form closely, and call us at if you have questions.

  • One claim form can be used to request up to three expenses.
  • Use additional claim forms if you need them.

3. Mail or fax claim forms to Cigna

By mail

P.O. Box 182223
Chattanooga, TN 37422-7223

Fax to: or

FSA, HRA, and HSA Frequently Asked Questions

What FSA expenses, HRA expenses and HSA expenses can be reimbursed?

You can use your HSA or Health Care FSA to reimburse yourself for medical and dental expenses that qualify as federal income tax deductions (whether or not they exceed the IRS minimum applied to these deductions) under Section 213(d) of the tax code.1

Your employer determines which health care expenses are eligible under an HRA. To determine if the below listed expenses can be paid by your HRA, please refer to your coverage plan.

Whose expenses can be reimbursed?

HSA - Money in your HSA can be used to reimburse yourself for medical and dental expenses incurred by you, your spouse, or eligible dependents (children, siblings, parents, and others who are considered an exemption under Section 152 of the tax code).

Health Care FSA - Money in your FSA can be used to get reimbursed for medical and dental expenses incurred by you, your spouse or eligible dependents (children, siblings, parents and other dependents as defined in your plan documents).

Are receipts required in order to get reimbursed?

Detailed proof of health care expenses must be provided for us to process your request, including:

  • Receipts
  • Expense statements
  • Explanation of benefits (EOB) from your health plan

For prescription expenses:

  • Send a pharmacy receipt showing the prescription details and purchase information.

For premium payments:

  • Send a receipt showing the coverage period (date range) for the premium payment.

NOTE: Credit card receipts cannot be accepted because they do not document the type of service. Cancelled checks are also not acceptable.

Visit our Knowledge Center to learn more about:

HSAs, HRAs, and FSAs

What is an Out-of-Pocket Maximum and How Does it Work?

7 Ways to Help Pay Less for Out-of-Pocket Costs

View all articles

Member Guide Quick Links

Home Delivery Pharmacy Employee Assistance Program Customer Forms Plan Documents Back to Member Guide

1"Medical care" expenses as defined by IRS Code, Section 213(d) include amounts paid for the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of disease, and for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. The expenses must be to alleviate or prevent a physical defect or illness. Expenses for solely cosmetic reasons generally are not expenses for medical care. Examples include face lifts, hair transplants, and hair removal (electrolysis). Also, expenses that are merely beneficial to one's general health (for example, vacations) are not expenses for medical care.

HRAs can only be chosen together with certain plan types. Your HRA is self-funded by your employer, who is solely responsible for contributing the funds used to pay benefits under your plan using the funds in your HRA. You are not required to make any contribution to the HRA account, either pursuant to a salary deduction election or otherwise under a Section 125 cafeteria plan. You may not enroll under this option if you are considered self-employed (including partners and more-than-2% shareholders in a subchapter S corporation).You cannot open an HSA if, in addition to coverage under an HSA-qualified High Deductible Health Plan ("HDHP"), you are also covered under a Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or an HRA or any other health coverage that is not a HDHP.

If you have elected to enroll in an HSA plan, you expressed your interest in opening a Health Savings Account with an HSA service provider. The HSA service provider you choose will contact you and provide you with an HSA enrollment form, a signature card, a request for information for any Customer Identification Program compliance and other related materials necessary to open an HSA account with the HSA service provider. In order to open an HSA with the HSA service provider, you must:

In a timely manner, complete, sign and submit all the forms required by the HSA service provider; and

Be found to meet all of the requirements prescribed by the HSA service provider.

If you are enrolled in a Cigna Individual and Family Health Savings Plan, you will need to contact the HSA service provider of your choice to set up a Health Savings Account to pair with your Cigna Health Savings Plan.

If you are offered a Cigna-administered HDHP through your employer and your employer has not selected the Cigna-preferred HSA service provider, you may open the HSA with an HSA custodian/trustee that is either arranged by your employer or that you personally select. You must agree to complete necessary forms and meet the requirements set forth by the HSA custodian/trustee pertaining to the establishment and operation of your HSA.

The HSA provider and/or trustee/custodian will be solely responsible for all HSA services, transactions and activities related thereto. Neither your employer nor Cigna is responsible for any aspects of the HSA services, administration and operation.

Prior to enrollment with an HSA provider, you must certify that you have enrolled or plan to enroll under a HDHP and are not covered under any other health coverage that is not a HDHP.

Page Footer

I want to...

Get an ID card File a claim View my claims and EOBs Check coverage under my plan See prescription drug list Find an in-network doctor, dentist, or facility Find a form Find 1095-B tax form information View the Cigna Glossary Contact Cigna


Individuals and Families Medicare Employers Brokers Providers

Secure Member Sites

myCigna member portal Health Care Provider portal Cigna for Employers Client Resource Portal Cigna for Brokers

Cigna Company Information

About Cigna Company Profile Careers Newsroom Investors Suppliers Third Party Administrators International Evernorth

 Cigna. All rights reserved.

Privacy Legal State Policy Disclosures, Exclusions, and Limitations Transparency in Coverage Customer Rights Accessibility Non-Discrimination Notice Language Assistance [PDF] Report Fraud Sitemap


Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Georgia, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see a listing of the legal entities that insure or administer group HMO, dental HMO, and other products or services in your state). Group Universal Life (GUL) insurance plans are insured by CGLIC. Life (other than GUL), accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity, and disability plans are insured or administered by Life Insurance Company of North America, except in NY, where insured plans are offered by Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York (New York, NY). All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.

 Selecting these links will take you away from to another website, which may be a non-Cigna website. Cigna may not control the content or links of non-Cigna websites. Details