Our Behavioral Health, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and caregiver programs connect and support whole-person health.
Behavioral Health programs help you manage health issues in your workforce before they become more serious. We do this through a combination of behavioral, wellness, and pharmacy components. Our comprehensive approach is designed to improve whole health – and your bottom line.
Behavioral issues raise costs and could drain productivity
- 1 in 5 adults in the United States – 46.6 million – experiences mental illness in a given year.1
- Nearly 70% with mental illness also have physical illness.2
- Co-occurring conditions can increase the cost of care by two to three times the cost of treatment for patients without a behavioral condition3
When behavioral health issues are left unmanaged, it can raise costs and could lower productivity. And most importantly, it can impact the life of someone on your team. Behavioral issues are more common – and more expensive – than you may think. Medical and behavioral conditions have high rates of co-occurrence. In fact, co-occurring conditions can increase the cost of care by two to three times the cost of treatment for patients without a behavioral condition.
Better health outcomes and savings
Our combination of programs provide more opportunities to identify and proactively engage customers in behavioral and wellness services, and coaching and support.
Bundling your benefits can improve the health of your employees and reduce total medical costs. A 2018 Cigna integration study showed a $193 per member per year medical cost savings when clients have their medical, behavioral and pharmacy benefits with Cigna.4
Behavioral Health offers:
- Innovative, evidence-based clinical programs and services focused on reducing the negative impact of behavioral issues
- A personalized customer experience to support individuals – and their families
- Emotional well-being programs and tools
- More than 40 years of experience delivering behavioral health programs designed to prevent relapse and hospital readmission
- A large, national network of over 145,000 behavioral health care providers including virtual behavioral services.5
- Virtual counseling sessions available with over 14,000 clinicians nationwide5
- 24/7/365 crisis and emergency support for your employees
- Extensive expertise in helping to manage treatment compliance and predictive identification of high-cost claimants who can benefit from additional support, education, and help finding in-network providers
- A guided approach that makes it simple to access in-network facilities and providers to help ensure customers are achieving better and more cost-efficient outcomes
- Tools to manage out-of-network substance use treatment and costs such as predictive analytics, customer education, and Substance Use Centers of Excellence
A Cigna study showed that our Substance Use Centers of Excellence program facilities have 13% lower cost per admission than other in-network, non-designated facilities, and 167% lower than out-of-network facilities.6
- Complex Psychiatric Case Management provides physicians and psychiatrists with a solution for their patients who are taking multiple psychotropic drugs, helping foster appropriate levels of care and adherence to drug therapies to optimize treatment regimens and decrease potential ER visits and/or hospitalizations.
- Narcotics Therapy Management uses comprehensive medical information to identify and address potential inappropriate utilization of narcotics and other controlled substances, encouraging better management of pain by offering tools and resources and addressing fraud and abuse.
- Online resources available on Cigna.com and
myCigna.comprovide easy access to behavioral awareness series information, articles, podcasts, pain resource hub, and the provider directory.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Our EAP provides confidential support and assistance to your employees and anyone in the household. With EAP services, there is an enhanced opportunity to improve well-being and productivity. Employer services are also included to help address organizational concerns and traumatic events, and to help managers and HR professionals navigate some of the more challenging aspects of their jobs.
EAP makes a difference
- 9 in 10 avoid behavioral claims and resolve their issue through EAP7
- 98.4% overall satisfaction8
- 96.4% improved ability to manage stress8
- 93.9% increased productivity8
- 96.3% improved ability to balance work and life8
- 98.6% HR satisfaction with seminars and training8
- 91.3% improved attendance8
- 100% manager satisfaction8
- 99.4% seminar participant satisfaction8
Various service models are available which include the following:
- 24/7/365 live assistance for customer service, crisis triage support and referrals
- Unlimited telephonic consultations with licensed clinicians, both urgent and scheduled appointments
- Face-to-face and telehealth counseling sessions with a nationwide network of EAP counselors
- Access to legal, financial and ID theft support consultation services
- Resource and referral assistance for work/life concerns such as child care, eldercare, pet care, adoption, summer camps, and more
- Convenience services referrals such as home repairs, travel, relocation, event planning, and more
- Live and on-demand webcasts throughout the year
- Behavioral awareness series
- Managing stress tool kit
- Disaster Resource Center
- 24/7/365 management consultation, crisis triage support, and management referrals
- Live and on-demand webcasts throughout the year
- EAP Resources for Managers & Organizations microsite, providing resources, and tools for managers and HR, as well as for disaster response, wellness and program promotion
- Behavioral fitness for duty evaluations at additional cost
- 24/7/365 critical incident stress management services
- Organizational consultation
- Annual bank of employer service hours which can be used for onsite critical incident stress management services, wellness seminars, management training, or benefit/wellness events
- EAP wellness seminars and management training – over 180 topics
- Quarterly reports and analytics plus a reporting portal
- Program promotional tools and collateral
- Client support team
Offers programs and resources to help manage stress, anxiety, loneliness, and more for those who are caring for an adult or child living with acute or chronic conditions.
Caregiver HelpHub includes a digital portal and digital cognitive behavioral therapy for stress management, peer coaching, personalized planning, and educational and work/life resources based on regularly conducted digital assessments. It also includes access to quarterly seminars, a caregiver support kit, a coping with grief and loss kit, and access to the Geriatric Care Assist program.
The Geriatric Care Assist program offers:
- Comprehensive assessment with a qualified geriatric case manager which includes meeting with the family, an onsite assessment of the loved one’s living environment and care needs, and creation of a detailed care plan
- An assessment of possible housing options, if necessary
Caregiver Bridge offers all of the benefits contained in Caregiver HelpHub, but replaces the Geriatric Care Assist program with caregiver coaches, a team of behavioral licensed clinicians, nurses, and social workers who all have experienced their own caregiving journey.
This program offers one-on-one support over the phone or virtually and provides:
Planning: Road Mapping and Guidance
- Concierge level support from caregiver coaches
- Consulting and planning
- Care team coordination
- Resilience life coaching
- Stress management support
- Chronic condition management
Navigation: Curated resources, tools, and human centered support
- Caregiving roadmap and checklists
- Discounts on goods and services
- Community support directories
- Preferred provider steerage
Connections: Social and Peer-to-Peer Support
- Social support
- In-home/errand support
Benefits of Cigna Medical Plans
- 24/7/365 live customer service, when and where employees need it
Digital tools for employees, including the myCigna® mobile app
- Worldwide in-network coverage for emergencies
- Consumer driven health plan (CDHP) accounts, including health reimbursement accounts (HRAs,) health savings accounts (HSAs), and flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Option for employers to bundle medical, pharmacy, vision, and more
- Optional health and wellness discount programs to encourage and reward employees*
- Self-funded and fully insured funding options for employers
- Dedicated client service team
- Educational content for employees, including
behavioral health resources
1 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, “Results from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health,” 9/2018.
2 Modern Healthcare, Addressing behavioral health to improve all health; Special Report – Behavioral Health: Fixing a system in crisis, by Steven Ross Johnson, May 27, 2017.
3 Milliman, Economic Impact of Integration Medical-Behavioral Healthcare, January 2018.
42018 Cigna national book of business study of medical customers who have Cigna pharmacy and Total Behavioral Health benefits vs. those with Cigna medical and Fee for Service Inpatient only behavioral benefits. Average annual per member per year (PMPY) estimated medical savings of $193 ranges $166–$220. Individual client/customer results will vary and are not guaranteed.
5 2019 Cigna Behavioral Network Analysis Report as of 8/1/19
6 Cigna Behavioral Health Insights, 2017 National book of business study compared inpatient and outpatient readmission and cost per admission claims data for dates of service 1.1.2017 through 12.31.2017.
7 Cigna Satisfaction Survey, Employee Assistance Program Evaluation, 2018. Results are gathered throughout the year on a statistically significant sample of National and Regional clients who utilized EAP services within that year.
8 Cigna Satisfaction Surveys, Employee Assistance Program Evaluation, Manager Satisfaction, Wellness Seminar Satisfaction, 2018. Results are gathered throughout the year on a statistically significant sample of National and Regional clients who utilized relevant EAP services within that year.
*Discount programs are separate from plan benefits. A discount program is NOT insurance, and the member must pay the entire discounted charge. Some Healthy Rewards programs are not available in all states and programs may be discontinued at any time.
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group health insurance policies and health benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative. Cigna group medical plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company or its affiliates, with behavioral benefits and services administered by Evernorth Behavioral Health, Inc. and Evernorth Care Solutions, Inc. For information about behavioral health benefits in California, visit
I want to...
Secure Member Sites
The Cigna Group Information
Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Georgia, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of South Carolina, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of Texas, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see
All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.