Health Savings Account (HSA) and Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
Shifting behaviors, not costs, to create active participants who are encouraged and rewarded for choosing quality care.
About Consumer-Driven Health Plans
Consumer-Driven Health Plans (CDHPs) give employers the flexibility to combine a qualifying medical plan with either a health savings account (HSA) or health reimbursement account (HRA).
Cigna's Consumer-Driven Health Plans are designed to deliver savings for clients, without shifting costs to customers. Employers can choose to offer one or both of the Cigna CDHP plans. The health savings account (HSA) gives employees ownership of a tax-exempt savings account they can use to contribute pre-tax dollars to pay for covered health care costs.1 The health reimbursement account (HRA) combines a health plan with an employer-funded HRA to help employees pay for covered health care costs.
Typical Plan Structure
With both options, Cigna delivers a one-stop employer and employee experience by integrating administration and any interactions with HSA bank vendors, as well as service and wellness programs.
- Employer-owned account. The employer chooses limits on remaining HRA dollars that roll over to future plan years.
- Most health plans are eligible. Employers choose the underlying medical plan.
- Contributions are made by the employer. Employers choose how much to contribute.
- Automatic claim forwarding option to pay health care providers directly from the HRA.
- Employee-owned account.
- Qualified high-deductible plans are eligible. Premiums for these plans are typically lower than traditional medical plans.
- Contributions can be made by the employer and the employee, up to the IRS limit each year.
- Preventive prescription drugs can be covered before employees meet their deductible.
- Optional Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for vision and dental expenses. This gives your employees the freedom to enroll in an HSA while saving additional pre-tax dollars in a FSA to help pay for eligible vision and dental expenses.2
Benefits of Cigna Medical Plans
- 24/7/365 live customer service, when and where employees need it
Digital tools for employees, including the myCigna mobile app and cost and quality tool with cost estimates incorporating HRA, HSA or FSA dollars. May vary by plan.
- Worldwide in-network coverage for emergencies2
- Most plans offer access to Cigna's large national network of labs, x-ray and radiology offices, and dialysis centers
- Option for employers to bundle pharmacy, behavioral health, dental, and more.
- Optional health and wellness incentive programs to encourage and reward employees3
- Self-funded and fully insured funding options for employers. Options may vary by plan.
- Dedicated client service team
Components of a Winning Benefits Strategy
HSA and HRA Administration
HRA or HSA plans offer an integrated experience for employers and employees. This makes it easy to implement and simple to maintain.
Error loading table data.
Create a sustainable benefits strategy - and improve employees' health
Contact your broker or connect with a Cigna representative to discuss your organization’s unique needs.
Let's Get Started
Thank you for your interest in Cigna. Please provide some basic information about your company and a representative will contact you.
1. State and/or local taxes may apply. Contact your tax advisor for details.
2. For Emergency Services as defined by the applicable plan documents.
3. Incentive programs are funded by the employer and may not be available with all product types.
4. Cigna Corporation. “8th Annual Choice Fund Experience Study.” 2014. The Cigna Choice Fund Experience Study is a multiyear comparative analysis of utilization, claim and cost trend data for two groups of customers: those in traditional PPO/HMO plans (the control group) and those in Cigna Choice Fund CDHPs.
I want to...
Secure Member Sites
Cigna Company Information
Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see
All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.