Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program
Cigna’s Medication Therapy Management Program can help find any possible errors or gaps in your prescription drug care.
What is the Medication Therapy Management Program?
The Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program is a part of Cigna Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans and Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) with prescription drug coverage.
MTM can help find any possible errors and gaps in your care by:
- Lowering the risk of medication errors, especially if you have chronic conditions, take many medications, or see multiple doctors
- Giving information on proven medical practices to help you and your doctor decide the most effective treatment
- Helping you understand your condition and medications, so you can take an active role in taking care of your health
You may qualify for program assistance if:
You have at least 3 of the medical conditions below:
- Chronic heart failure
- Bone disease (osteoporosis)
You should take at least 7 drugs from selected classes:
- Oral hypoglycemic
- Angiotensin-converting-enzyme (ace) inhibitors
- Angiotensin ii receptor blockers (arbs)
- Beta blockers
- Alpha blockers
- Calcium channel blockers
- Other metabolic bone disease agents.
Your prescriptions for the last 3 months cost more than one-fourth of the yearly cost level. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) set a cost level each year. The 2021 cost level is $4,376.
Cigna Medicare customers who qualify for the MTM Program are automatically enrolled1 and sent a welcome packet in the mail.
Based on the guidelines above, all chosen customers will be offered a full medication review (CMR) by a Cigna Medicare clinical pharmacist at least yearly. The CMR is an interactive session with 1 of our Cigna Medicare clinical pharmacists to talk about all medications, such as:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medications
- Herbal therapies
- Dietary supplements
After the medication review, you'll get an individualized letter in the mail. Each letter has a personal medication record of all medications discussed and a plan of action, if needed. Your prescriber may also get a letter after your CMR with possible interventions to solve medication-related problems or other ways to optimize medication use. We automatically give you a targeted medication review each quarter for eligible customers and mail their prescribers a letter with intervention opportunities.
Getting involved in the MTM Program may help improve your health and lower your risk for medication reactions, hospitalization, and emergency room visits. Depending on your diagnosis, it may help improve your cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and lower your risk of heart attack.
There is no extra cost for this program. While it’s not seen as a Medicare benefit, the MTM Program is part of the plan you select for coverage.
It’s important to get rid of unwanted medications in a way that won’t endanger others. Drop off unwanted medications at certain authorized pharmacies and collection sites on National Prescription Drug Take Back Day or go to approved locations anytime throughout the year.
What if I have questions?
If you have questions or need more information, please call the Cigna Medicare MTM Program toll-free:
Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C)
Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans
Appointments are available Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm ET. For questions about health plan benefits, coverage issues, or claims, please
1Unless you opt-out of enrolling in the program.
The Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program is a component of Cigna Medicare prescription drug plans and should not be considered a Medicare benefit. MTM is neither offered nor guaranteed under our contract with the Medicare program and is not subject to the Medicare appeals process.
Customer Plan Links
Other Cigna Websites
Medicare Advantage Policy Disclaimers
All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation. The Cigna name, logos, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc. All clinical products and services of the LivingWell Health Centers are either provided by or through clinicians contracted with HealthSpring Life & Health Insurance Company, Inc., HealthSpring of Florida, Inc., Bravo Health Mid-Atlantic, Inc., and Bravo Health Pennsylvania, Inc. or employees leased by HS Clinical Services, PC, Bravo Advanced Care Center, PC (PA), Bravo Advanced Care Center, PC (MD) and not by Cigna Corporation. The Cigna name, logos, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc. All pictures are used for illustrative purposes only.
Cigna contracts with Medicare to offer Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO plans and Part D Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) in select states, and with select State Medicaid programs. Enrollment in Cigna depends on contract renewal.
Medicare Supplement Policy Disclaimers
Medicare Supplement website content not approved for use in: Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Virginia.
AN OUTLINE OF COVERAGE IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. We'll provide an outline of coverage to all persons at the time the application is presented.
Our company and agents are not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. Government or the federal Medicare program. This is a solicitation for insurance. An insurance agent may contact you. Premium and benefits vary by plan selected. Plan availability varies by state. Medicare Supplement policies are underwritten by Cigna National Health Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, American Retirement Life Insurance Company or Loyal American Life Insurance Company. Each insurer has sole responsibility for its own products.
The following Medicare Supplement Plans are available to persons eligible for Medicare due to disability: Plan A in Arkansas, Connecticut, Indiana, Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia; Plans A, F, and G in North Carolina; and Plans C and D in New Jersey for individuals aged 50-64. Medicare Supplement policies contain exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policies may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact the company.
This website is designed as a marketing aid and is not to be construed as a contract for insurance. It provides a brief description of the important features of the policy. Please refer to the policy for the full terms and conditions of coverage.
American Retirement Life Insurance Company, Cigna National Health Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company do not issue policies in New Mexico.
Kansas Disclosures, Exclusions and Limitations
Medicare Supplement Policy Forms: Plan A: CNHIC-MS-AA-A-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-A-KS; Plan F: CNHIC-MS-AA-F-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-F-KS; Plan G: CNHIC-MS-AA-G-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-G-KS; Plan N: CNHIC-MS-AA-N-KS, CNHIC-MS-AO-N-KS
Exclusions and Limitations:
The benefits of this policy will not duplicate any benefits paid by Medicare. The combined benefits of this policy and the benefits paid by Medicare may not exceed one-hundred percent (100%) of the Medicare Eligible Expenses incurred. This policy will not pay benefits for the following:
(1) the Medicare Part B Deductible;
(2) any expense which You are not legally obligated to pay; or services for which no charge is normally made in the absence of insurance;
(3) any services that are not medically necessary as determined by Medicare;
(4) any portion of any expense for which payment is made by Medicare or other government programs (except Medicaid); or for which payment would have been made by Medicare if You were enrolled in Parts A and B of Medicare;
(5) any type of expense not a Medicare Eligible Expense except as provided previously in this policy;
(6) any deductible, Coinsurance or Co-payment not covered by Medicare, unless such coverage is listed as a benefit in this policy; or
(7) Preexisting Conditions: We will not pay for any expenses incurred for care or treatment of a Preexisting Condition for the first six (6) months from the effective date of coverage. This exclusion does not apply if You applied for and were issued this policy under guaranteed issue status; if on the date of application for this policy You had at least six (6) months of prior Creditable Coverage; or, if this policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy and a six (6) month waiting period has already been satisfied. Evidence of prior coverage or replacement must have been disclosed on the application for this policy. If You had less than six (6) months prior Creditable Coverage, the Preexisting Conditions limitation will be reduced by the aggregate amount of Creditable Coverage. If this policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy, credit will be given for any portion of the waiting period that has been satisfied.